Attaching a bench top

JohnDi

52b01793ca2189f4d386b2354eebd895_zps3e98

11f410741275d93cf82d0203da5b099f_zpsd053

Just found this at work. It was a bakery table. It's 1 3/4" thick, 4' wide, and 8' long. Looks like maple. It was 10' long. I had to cut it just to get it in my van to bring home. Would like to use it as a top for my bench.

My current bench was a freebie from CL. It has an old solid core door with strips of hardwood flooring screwed on it. the base is 3 banks of drawers.

This thing is HEAVY. My idea was to remove the hardwood strips from my current top and put this over the door underneath giving me about a 4" top.

Would a good bead of silicone be doable to attach? (or is that crazy) Really don't want to screw down through top if I can help it and screwing up from underneath would be tough because of the tight space in the cabinets.

Also any suggestions for cutting dog holes?

If it were me I would bolt from above with securing nuts on the underside and then just fill the counterbored holes in the top with some wooden plugs. Not sure if you use hold downs John but if you do just drill 3/4" holes in appropriate places rather than drilling them everywhere. The Schwarz did a blog post recently showing a bench with just a minimum amount of holes in it.