Help with Older Craftsman Table Saw

Chas617

Hi All, 

I've had my older Craftsman TS (Series 113) since March and so far so good.It cuts well and I've made some stuff with it.
Last week I tried to set the tilt to 45 degrees so I could rip some stock for a French cleat. The tilt went to about 35 degrees then the tilt wheel started to be harder and harder to turn. Thinking it was dust clogged I cleaned up the dust on the tilt screw and trunions and made sure the tilt lock was loose. It would not go beyond 40 degrees and then the plastic tilt wheel broke. I ordered a metal replacement that I replaced today. After checking out the undercarriage completely I cannot see anything that would prevent the tilt from going the final 5 degrees. I don't want to force it.

Sorry for the book but I want to be thorough. I'm now thinking that, although the blade is parallel with the miter slots, the trunions are not square to each other. In essence they form a parallelogram with the narrow end to the right as you look at the saw from the front. 

If you agree, let me know. If you have other ideas please share.

Thanks,

Chuck

I have a 113 series as well, and the bevel adjustment is problematic on it too.  First, make sure the motor isn't getting caught up on anything when trying to set the bevel.  Next, make sure the belt isn't getting in the way.  After checking those two items, look under the saw for the screw that sets the bevel is clear of sawdust and debris.  It gets built up overtime, and can make setting the bevel a real pain.

I have the added issue that the motor on my saw isn't original and it sticks up above the table when I set the bevel.  For me it has gotten to the point it isn't worth it.  I cut the bevels on the band saw, and clean up the cut on the jointer.

@Beechwood Chip: I removed my insert so I could see into the "guts". So there can be no binding up on the insert. Yes, this is a new problem as I have not tried to set the 45 degree tilt before now. The saw carriage stops about 1/2 inch from the 45 degree stop. 

@MikeM: The motor and belt are completely free when everything binds up. There is no build up of "gunk" in the carriage or the 45 degree stop screw.

Unfortunately I have no other means to rip bevels.

Two, physically inspect all moving parts and clearances as someone else helps you articulate. It can help to invert the saw. Just be sure to lower the blade so that you don't gouge something with the saw upside down.

Also, if you can remove the threaded rod you can manipulate the parts it moves through.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to come back and report my progress with my problem. 

Having some good temperatures to work in the garage, I found the problem today. 

I upgraded the rip fence when I got it and the rear rail hangs lower then the stock rail. As the carriage tilted, the blade guard mounting bracket was hitting the bottom of the rail and binding up. I spent considerable time cutting away the rail until I was able to tilt the blade a full 45 degrees. 

I checked the tilt with my Wixey gauge, set the 45 degree stop, and now I'm in business.

Thanks for all the suggestions!