New guy - wood floor question for my new small shop.

James Minkler

Hi all,

I am new here and am hoping to improve my woodworking skills.

I have recently put up a 10x20 shed/shop that I will use 3/4 of as a place to sniff glue and eat sawdust. I am hoping someone may have some advice on my floor covering options. I have limited selection of tools at this time and most are, or have been, used for home repair and remodeling. But I expect this will expand over the next several months.

**i should disclaim I intend to put up a 40x60 shop for both wood working and my need for things that go fast. So this shed/shop is just a step in the direction of something larger in about 18-24 months.

I have just purchased 1/4 smooth faced underlayment to lay over the 3/4 plywood. But am not sure if i want to use a two part epoxy or linoleum? Any suggestions here?

The other 1/4 of the shed will be used for storage and I expect to have to move my table saw (when I get one) right outside and wheel it back in. I am planning on a dealt contractor style table saw for now. I would then doing my joinery, assembly, finishing, etc inside.

Both I expect to cost about the same so the real question is functionality, which I hope someone here can help me with.

Thanks in advance for any advice and look forward to being part of the community.

Jay,

Just curious why put any flooring on top of the ply?  Unless you're just going to a nice finished look?

I have linoleum and can honestly say I don't like it.  Cuts and tears way too easy.  When I change it, it will be plywood with anti-fatigue mats for me.

Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

I have some minor gaps and spaces between the sheathing, very minimal 1/32 at most. Since I did insulate the walls and roof I thought it would be a good investment. Beside moisture coming up I don't want spills going underneath either.

Maybe I am over complicating it. Who knows with me sometimes. :)

I have some minor gaps and spaces between the sheathing, very minimal 1/32 at most. Since I did insulate the walls and roof I thought it would be a good investment. Beside moisture coming up I don't want spills going underneath either.

Maybe I am over complicating it. Who knows with me sometimes. :)

Is the floor insulated as well?

You could fill these gaps if they bother you but, more than likely they're a non issue.  It is a shop right?

First and foremost, welcome to the community! As for the floor, your mileage may vary, but it sounds like this is a 'stepping stone' shop... ie, you're going to put up something else 'soon'. Given that, I'd just fill those gaps with sawdust  while you're in this shop and be done with it. 

Is the floor insulated as well?

You could fill these gaps if they bother you but, more than likely they're a non issue.  It is a shop right?

Well the floor is not insulated :(, as i did not decide to insulate the shed, until after i realized i was going to be waiting another year or to for my 'real' shop. So only the walls and ceiling are insulated. It was an after thought. Guess I was thinking that another layer of material would be better for durability/protection.

Thanks for the reply.

First and foremost, welcome to the community! As for the floor, your mileage may vary, but it sounds like this is a 'stepping stone' shop... ie, you're going to put up something else 'soon'. Given that, I'd just fill those gaps with sawdust  while you're in this shop and be done with it. 

Good point Ned. I tend to over complicate or put too much thought into things sometimes. Maybe I will use all that underlayment to make a couple hundred magazine holders :) 

thanks for the advice and look forward to being part of the community.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the gaps over floor frame members or mid span? If they are mid span it will be difficult to seal because the sheets will move independantley of each other, causing any sawdust or filler to break away. Ply floors are fine, I have them in my shop but I do have 3 x 3 ft rubber backed carpet squares in front of machines where slipping over on sawdust may not be advisable.