MDF, Planeable?

Derekkest

Well you can plane it but the problem is the finish will be a horrid rough pitted surface and it might rip little chunks out as well, and it wont have that super slick smooth surface and sanding wont bring it back either. at least from my experience anyway.

I've seen photos of the stuff being cut at angles on the edges - comes out quite well, but I think you'll just be wearing out your tools trying to plane the stuff. I've never tried it myself.

If it's an odd thickness, maybe it's worth gluing two panels together? Depends on the size of course. Or add a thick (as in 1/4") hardwood surface to it perhaps?

These comments are probably worth less than two cents ;)

John

So I need a really odd size thickness for a backing I am making out of MDF. First time I ever used this and was wondering if it is planeable :)

MDF usually comes in a large range of thickness's I would say laminating several to obtain the required thickness even diffent thickness's will be far better than trying to plane the stuff. It'll snag like hell and any veneer you apply after will grin through on every deformation. Just rough each one up a little with glass paper to get a good key and you should be fine.

Pete