ridgid table saws

Gary Gilbert

I'm another G0715P owner here, and I have no complaints about the saw. Bought it, tuned it up the first day, and it was good to go. Cuts well, and the fence is actually really nice. I know others do not like the stock grizzly fence, but I have had good luck with it. The plastic surface is straight along the length, once I loosened one of the screws that was over tightened. It locks down firmly and easily. Above all, it has not come out of square once since installing it.

Good buy, especially since I used a 10% or 20% off coupon when I bought it. I can't remember what the deal was.

For me buying a new house and setting up my first shop means that the extra 400 bucks for the grizzly seems questionable at this time.  Lots of bathrooms to fix and other things.

That's certainly legitimate but, if you "settle" for a tool that you know you'll have to replace later, you end up spending a hell of a lot more for that tool in the long run.

That's certainly legitimate but, if you "settle" for a tool that you know you'll have to replace later, you end up spending a hell of a lot more for that tool in the long run.

Depends on a lot of things.  How many years of use you would get out of each and so on.  It is something to think about, and in general we are trying to avoid it by doing things right and how we want them the first time.  The issue is how much it is settling vs being able to start, then make sure how much use I will actually put it to.  And after we get more of the house redone it will be easier to upgrade if I have made some nice things that I want to first.

If it wasn't effectively around twice the price the 715 looks great.  Finding one used around here doesn't seem very common from what I have seen on craigslist.

There are tools that keep a decent resale value and those that don't. I'd say any tool built with cast iron or granite tops falls on the better end of that spectrum. So buying a higher end entry level tool such as the Ridgid saw may not cost you that much more in the long run. Those saws pretty consistently resale for only 20-30% less than what they cost new.

There are tools that keep a decent resale value and those that don't. I'd say any tool built with cast iron or granite tops falls on the better end of that spectrum. So buying a higher end entry level tool such as the Ridgid saw may not cost you that much more in the long run. Those saws pretty consistently resale for only 20-30% less than what they cost new.

Even more so if you keep the saw tuned up and in good condition.  When I started this hobby three years ago I bought a Bosch jobsite style saw for something like $550 off Amazon.  I knew it wouldn't last forever, but I was loath to spend much more than that on a hobby that I had no idea whether I would stick with.  I also wanted to get a better idea of my workflow/habits.  About six months ago I finally decided to upgrade to a sawstop and I sold my Bosch for $475.  It was pristine because I kept it in great shape, and I included the various jigs that I had built for it, which the buyer was very happy about.  I consider the $75 loss a fee for "renting" the saw while I fell in love with the hobby.

That being said, there were other tools where I wasn't as lucky with resale value, and I now aggressively subscribe to "buy once cry once."  If I can't afford to get the tool I want, I wait until I can.  But I understand the desire to "get started", and like TIODS said, only you can make the financial decisions.  But if you end up going with an option that you're going to replace someday, make sure you keep it in good shape (and keep all user manuals, etc.), as it will make it more likely that you can recover most of your money.

I agree with what has been said on both ends of all the saws listed. last night the wife and I talked about selling my graphic printer cause it sits there and i don't do much printing anymore so if it sells i will have the funds for better equipment.. plus it will give me the money to add on to the little shed we have here.. 

• Like 1