Spalted elm cutting board

caitie

I recently bought some spalted elm from a woodworking show and I'm interested in making it into a simple cutting board . This will be my first project since my woodworking class 4 years ago and I figured that it would be a good place to start since it will require very few tools. The problem is that I've read so much on spalted wood that it seems to be a little overwhelming. So I have a few questions...

I read that spalted wood should be stabalized/hardened with CA, but is this before working with it, or just as you are finishing it? My spalted elm isn't soft or crumbly, so would I still have to harden it (to stop the rotting process)? Could I just do what I need to do (cutting, routing, sanding), then treat it?

My other question is about using the spalted wood as a cutting board. How would I prepare the cutting board to be food safe? What would be your suggestion for finishing in terms of stains, oils, etc...?

I appreciate any suggestion. If I sound completely lost on this, it's because I am!

post-2153-0-53616500-1288817764_thumb.jp

My suggestion would be to find a harder wood and stay away from spalted wood for any project that comes in contact with food. I really don't think you could ingest enough of the spalted material, short of eating part of the board, to do any damage, but it's best to be safe than sorry. You never know what someone might be allergic to.

You sure found a pretty board! It would make a great looking box, picture frame, coffee grinder box - all fairly simple projects.

I agree that i'd stay away from it for a cutting board, but wanted to mention.. I goto KJP Hardwoods all the time. They're a local business where I live.

Also as a side note if you're a guild member you get 5% off all regular priced stock.