Powermatic Jointers

lighthearted

Hi All-

These are always silly questions because everyone always says "go for the BMW!" But seriously --I am considering which powermatic jointer to get. I purchased a Jet 10" combo (the cheaper version) and I hate it. I don't want to do that again!

While I am sure I wold be happy with any of the 8" Powermatic Jointers I still want to hear the opinions of someone who owns one. My shop is small, but I can fit in the PJ-882, and of course would like to build a larger shop in the future.

Before anyone asks--I am a hobbiest --but I demand quality tools. The 8" Helical cutterhead seems the way to go...but I want to hear owners opinions!

-Powermatic 1610082 PJ-882HH 8-Inch Parallelogram Jointer with Helical Cutterhead

-Powermatic 1610086K Model 60HH 8-Inch 2 HP 1-Phase Jointer with Helical Cutterhead

-Powermatic 1610077K Model 60B 8-Inch 2-Horsepower Jointer, 208/230-Volt 1-Phase

And for those whoare interested I applied for an Amazon credit card which gives you 0% financing for 24 months! that equals about $100 a month!

Thanks for your help!!

Chris

Guest Mahoganus

Trying to find quality wood working tools can be a real pain. I suggest to folks dont buy any tools if its made in China. (Jet, Grizzly, etc. China made equipment and tools just dont last. They always break on me and I end up getting hurt.

Hi All-

These are always silly questions because everyone always says "go for the BMW!" But seriously --I am considering which powermatic jointer to get. I purchased a Jet 10" combo (the cheaper version) and I hate it. I don't want to do that again!

While I am sure I wold be happy with any of the 8" Powermatic Jointers I still want to hear the opinions of someone who owns one. My shop is small, but I can fit in the PJ-882, and of course would like to build a larger shop in the future.

Before anyone asks--I am a hobbiest --but I demand quality tools. The 8" Helical cutterhead seems the way to go...but I want to hear owners opinions!

-Powermatic 1610082 PJ-882HH 8-Inch Parallelogram Jointer with Helical Cutterhead

-Powermatic 1610086K Model 60HH 8-Inch 2 HP 1-Phase Jointer with Helical Cutterhead

-Powermatic 1610077K Model 60B 8-Inch 2-Horsepower Jointer, 208/230-Volt 1-Phase

And for those whoare interested I applied for an Amazon credit card which gives you 0% financing for 24 months! that equals about $100 a month!

Thanks for your help!!

Chris

The jointers you listed are all pretty similar in age (how long they have been around) and style. I'd be surprised if you find someone that has owned more then one. The good news is that the 8" jointers from powermatic have been pretty similar to each other for a while now. Certainly the longer bed will be what makes the most difference as compared to your current jet combo machine. I own a PM60 from 1967 that I restored over a couple of months. I paid 380 for it and put in about another 150 into it. I have no complaints at all and the machine is a giant improvement over the 6" grizzly I was using before (not in jointing a surface, both machines did that fine, but in how sturdy the machine feels and how long the beds are).

As for buying american, I'm all for it but powermatic is now owned by a foreign company (same company that owns Jet). Some folk say that hasn't affected anything. Others say the quality of their castings have gone down considerably in recent years /shrug. Whether you think the quality has gone down or not it seems undeniable that many of the components are made overseas and depending the source may or may not be assembled in the US.

Hi All-

Thanks for your help!!

Chris

I have the PJ-882 with straight knives, and it is a great machine. You can also set the fence on this machine for a skew cut if you need to. I had planned on upgraing my machine to a Byrd head, but it cuts so well, I don't see the need on this machine. I found my machine on sale, so the difference from going from a straight knife to the HH machine was over $1K at the time, when I could purchase the Byrd Head for around $450.

I'm not suppose to comment because I don't own one... :) but having worked figured woods for the past several projects, chip-out with figured woods is a problem using straight knives. From what I have read and my friend Bob Kloes who uses those helical cutters, are the way to go with hardly to no chip-out.

With straight knives, I have skewed cut, wet the wood and did all that, I still get chip-out on figured woods.

Hope this helps, if any?

-Ace-