Meeting a fellow woodworker by accident

Freddie

I work at a commercial auto body shop, and we work with a company that we send wheels out to be reconditioned when they only have slight damage. The delivery guy was waiting by the office when I walked by. He noticed an old brass International cash register on a dolly that belongs to my boss. He was really fascinated by it and jokingly asked if the boss would take a trade for it. I jokingly said, "what do you guys also recondition cash registers?" He says, "I do." Now I'm interested so I start picking his brain. The cash register led to him restoring old steamer trunks which led us to discover that we both do woodworking. What a small world! Anyways, today was a hectic day, so we didn't get the chance to geek out and talk shop, but next time he comes in we'll hopefully exchange numbers and have a shop play date. 

• Like 1

I work at a commercial auto body shop, and we work with a company that we send wheels out to be reconditioned when they only have slight damage. The delivery guy was waiting by the office when I walked by. He noticed an old brass International cash register on a dolly that belongs to my boss. He was really fascinated by it and jokingly asked if the boss would take a trade for it. I jokingly said, "what do you guys also recondition cash registers?" He says, "I do." Now I'm interested so I start picking his brain. The cash register led to him restoring old steamer trunks which led us to discover that we both do woodworking. What a small world! Anyways, today was a hectic day, so we didn't get the chance to geek out and talk shop, but next time he comes in we'll hopefully exchange numbers and have a shop play date. 

I've always thought that if you put 2 woodworkers together in one shop... Amazing projects can happen!  There's a woodworker on this site I like to try that with!

Freddie not to hijack your thread but I'm also in the auto industry and have been trying to catch those wheel guys to get an estimate. My son just bought his first car a 99' Honda Accord. The aluminum wheels have the usually age MN salt rot. Any idea what they charge for all four wheels?

Freddie not to hijack your thread but I'm also in the auto industry and have been trying to catch those wheel guys to get an estimate. My son just bought his first car a 99' Honda Accord. The aluminum wheels have the usually age MN salt rot. Any idea what they charge for all four wheels?

I'll pull an invoice tomorrow and let you know what the going rate is here. I've never looked at one of their bills yet, only inspected the arriving wheels before they are put back on the vehicle.

Update: The guy came back to pick up more wheels so we got to talk more. Turns out he just bought a house right down the block from us. He asked me if I knew how to do crown moulding and offered to pay me to do it. I also offered to show him how to do it over some beers and play time in the shop.