min/midi lathes

antoncav

OK... so I am getting into turning A LOT at my highschool and it has gotten to the point where I desire to turn on the weekends... lol... anyway... I was looking into the Jet 1014l mini lathe when I noticed that the lathe in my school shop was a Woodtek No.1... so I looked into woodtek and saw that they had a midi lathe as well (woodtek midi 10")... unfortunately, you can only get them at woodworkers supply so there are not that many reviews on them, however, the guys at woodworkers supply SWEAR by them over the jet... (also, the woodtek no.1 is a beast if that is anything to go by)... I was hoping that someone on the forum would know something about the woodtek and maybe give me some advice... Also, if there are any other smallish lathes that you would recommend (let's keep it under, say, $400) that would be great! oh... and the jet 1014l is not yet out of the picture if anyone wants to convince me that it is the way to go... thanks!

I've got the Jet mini, and like it just fine. However, do I wish I had at least the Midi to be able to turn a little larger bowl, etc...

That said. I bought my father in law the Rockler mini last year for x-mas. Not a bad piece at all. Is it rougher than the Jet as far as fit and finish? Yes. But, don't be distracted by shiny paint, and chrome knobs. The one he received had a quite motor, the head and tail stock where perfect in line, and enough power to do anything on a small lathe. I think we paid 250 with the extension bed. That was shipped. Point is, if you are a pen, and bottle stopper dude, the mini will be perfect. However, as you progress in the art, you'll find yourself gravitating to larger pieces. You mini/midi won't be able to do.

Whenever someone asked me about turning, I always remind the person that the lathe is by FAR the cheapest part of the hobby. You damn near need something "else" to do anything on a lathe. Meaning a chuck, steady rest, knives, grinder, etc... The list goes on. If you are starting from scratch, avoid the tool sets. You can do just about anything you'll ever want to do with just a couple of quality turning tools.

Don't forget that if you do have to order anything, use the links on the front page to go to wherever, it gets Marc a few dimes here and there!

I just got the Delta 46-460 and love it. It is a little over your budget at around 550 but it does have varible speeds on 3 belt settings. Also it has a reverse option which is good for sanding. Delta sells the same lathe without the vs option for 100 bucks less. I looked for a while and was sold on the JET until I saw them side by side. The Delta just seems to be built a little better even down to the machine finish on the ways. However ya cant go wrong with either one in my opinion. I have never seen a woodtek so cant comment on it. Ron Hock told me once when I asked him if I needed a new chip breaker with his new irons for my plane upgrade, you are asking the guy who sells them. My point is if I sold woodtek I would swear to them over another brand too. Good luck and happy turning.

Woodcraft will be having a one day sale (Nov26 Black Friday) on the Rikon VA mini for $279 . That's a great on a real nice smaller lathe . I have a full size Nova and have been wanting a smaller lathe , this Rikon's on my list . One thing I liked about it over Jet mini is the ease of belts changes, if you have big hands it's hard the get them into the Jet. (JMO)

Woodcraft will be having a one day sale (Nov26 Black Friday) on the Rikon VA mini for $279 . That's a great on a real nice smaller lathe . I have a full size Nova and have been wanting a smaller lathe , this Rikon's on my list . One thing I liked about it over Jet mini is the ease of belts changes, if you have big hands it's hard the get them into the Jet. (JMO)

how do you know about the black friday sale?

how do you know about the black friday sale?

I got the email and flier/monthly sales notice from them, that had it listed. Get on their mailing list at your nearest store. It doesn't cost anything, and you get to spend quality time with people who know quite a bit of stuff. (Some of it may even be what you're looking for.) They have a decent sale on the Nova chuck (and a few other pieces to go with it) for the month of November, but the best sale is Black Friday... and I'm already begging the wife to start our shopping there before we hit the highway...

I also got Rockler's MIDI lathe, and I have to say that it doesn't look as rough as some. But that's because I've kept the box shut for three years. I used my father's mini / benchtop lathe - good for little more than Shaker pegs and pens (you should see Shaker pens:P) - and that has no power, no adjustability, and no options on larger items. I opted for the MIDI because I was going to mount it to a secondary benchtop to go on my worktable, and be put away (on the lower shelf) so I do not lose floorspace. I'd love a larger one, but don't have the floorspace to keep one.

The only tool set I'd get would be a basic three-piece set, or one of the Sorby sets (the ones with the customizable handles, like these: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080225/28388/16-Sorby-Sovereign-System.aspx) I just selected the Woodcraft site because I caught their Sorby demo last year and knew they sell it, but there are other locations that sell it (or similar systems) too. Wait on these until they offer combination sets, because buying each piece individually takes a while. (Combinations like handle, one end cap, and a gouge or scraper of some sort.)