My drug dealer's office (photo dump)

Eric.

I find it amazing that places get so much for stock. Bigger commercial suppliers consider birdseye and figure a defect so it gets culled and sold at a reduced price rather than inflated. For example mixed Makore right now is less than $4 for 5/4 and at one of my favorite WW stores its $8 - $15. Straight ripsaw electronic color matched is only $6.

its like the difference between buying toiled paper at a convenience store vs. Costco.   You do better buying in bulk.  There are a couple commercial supplies around here, but I don't know if they have a minimum bd ft order, but generally speaking if you go to these places and know what you want they will help you out.  

http://www.heidlerhardwood.com/inventory

http://www.paxtonwood.com/

Not really the big places cull all the figured stuff and its thought to be defective. Its sold off in any quality at a discount be it one board or hundreds. Woods like birds eye have no real lumber value they are a veneer stock so the boards that slip through in a container are just defective. Some cull and have a retail area and others cull and sell off to smaller places.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  The value of something is based solely upon the demand of the target market and the available supply.  There are very few places in MO that have a selection of less common hardwoods, so people are willing to pay more for it when it's available and close to home.  The market decides the price, as always.  If it's not selling at a particular price, the seller has no choice but to reduce the price until it does start to sell.  Unless he wants to sit on it forever, which any businessman with any sense knows is idiotic.  Supply and demand, same as everything else.

I find it amazing that places get so much for stock. Bigger commercial suppliers consider birdseye and figure a defect so it gets culled and sold at a reduced price rather than inflated. For example mixed Makore right now is less than $4 for 5/4 and at one of my favorite WW stores its $8 - $15. Straight ripsaw electronic color matched is only $6.

PB it sounds like you are in a good position to resell some of that worthless stock your supplier throws out to us lumber-hungry hobbyists!

PB it sounds like you are in a good position to resell some of that worthless stock your supplier throws out to us lumber-hungry hobbyists!

Not me if I was going to sell lumber the money is in the clear wood and volume. I just find it crazy that figured stuff is thought to be defective so it gets marked up and resold at a higher price. 

It's not defective if that's what you want.

The REAL money, right now, is in reclaimed lumber.  I'm barely exaggerating when I say every other person who comes in the yard asks for something reclaimed or "rustic."  And they don't care what it costs.  They'll give up their first-born child for some ugly rotten board if it has old red paint on it.

It's not defective if that's what you want.

The REAL money, right now, is in reclaimed lumber.  I'm barely exaggerating when I say every other person who comes in the yard asks for something reclaimed or "rustic."  And they don't care what it costs.  They'll give up their first-born child for some ugly rotten board if it has old red paint on it.

By grading standards its defective. Selling figured lumber is a different game than selling properly graded color matched lumber. I hear ya on the reclaimed stuff. Even my wife has started liking things made from reclaimed stuff. Right now I'm doing a treadle sewing machine table conversion out of some old ugly white oak. I paid 3 times the cost of nice clear lumber. 

By grading standards its defective.

I'm aware of that.  But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and just because the industry labels it as defective doesn't mean it's not desirable to woodworkers outside of the industry.  The reclaimed craze is the perfect example.  I wouldn't make a bonfire with the junk that people want these days...but they want it, and they want it BAD.