I bought a lathe, and its a beast

mkirby

I got the headstock completely working today. Everything rotates silky smooth and the back gear mechanism can be engaged and disengaged without too much trouble.

Tailstock is next to fix and then i have the headache of working out how the drive belt works.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the tailstock barrel is proving a stubborn little fellow.

It has got its self well and truly jammed in the tail stock. Cant get it out with a hammer so i soaked it for a few days in rust remover, cleaned it off and dowsed it in penetrating oil. Still won't move.

Looks like I'm going to have to break the blow torch out and see if i can get the tailstock body to expand enough to tap it out. Hope it comes out in one piece as i don't really want to have to convert the whole lathe to modern tapers.

Some part of my tailstock was stuck and I had a mechanic press it out with a hydraulic press. Can't remember if it was the tailstock spindle or a center. They said it was the most pressure they had used to separate two pieces of metal. And it wasn't even rusty, just hadn't been removed in decades.

- Rick M, sent via Tapatalk

Well the tailstock barrel is proving a stubborn little fellow.

It has got its self well and truly jammed in the tail stock. Cant get it out with a hammer so i soaked it for a few days in rust remover, cleaned it off and dowsed it in penetrating oil. Still won't move.

Looks like I'm going to have to break the blow torch out and see if i can get the tailstock body to expand enough to tap it out. Hope it comes out in one piece as i don't really want to have to convert the whole lathe to modern tapers.

I had a similar problem with a 50-year old headstock, and managed to get it loose with a thermal approach - aided by having a garage at -25C.   I applied heat to the body, and it came right out.

• 2 weeks later...

IT’S FIXED icon_smile.gif

And it was such an elementary thing as well.

My friend took it to the Tyne Tunnel’s maintenance shop where the sailing clubs tractor is being repaired. They got the biggest vice they could find and managed to push the quill out.

Turns out the previous owner had put it in backwards. The threaded holes are where you put some grub screws which bear down on the brass ring on the hand wheel, thus locking the wheel in place but allowing it to turn.

The centre is not morse tapered and instead screws in. So either that dates my lathe to pre morse taper or Britannia never adopted them. So i won’t be able to use any modern parts without first getting or making a new quill.

But i now have a working lathe as soon as i join the drive belt and i get my tailstock back icon_smile.gif

I’ll try and do a little vid when i get it all working.

• Like 1