Unlevel extension table

Mike Stout

Have been trying to make the extension tables on my Powermatic 15S planer level with the planer surface. The manual states to loosen the bolts and then adjust the three set screws each one below the bolts to level the extension, then to tighten the three bolts. Ive used a straight edge to bring the extension lever but when I tighten the bolts, the extension rises and throws the extension off. This simple procedure is driving me nuts, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Couldn't you put 2 jointed boards through the planer body and clamp the infeed/outfeed tables to it holding the tables flush and in position before tightening up the bolts? Also dunno if you have a washer on there; usually should have one. If not, try a washer on it as it tends to let the bolt slip without moving the table.

Couldn't you put 2 jointed boards through the planer body and clamp the infeed/outfeed tables to it holding the tables flush and in position before tightening up the bolts? Also dunno if you have a washer on there; usually should have one. If not, try a washer on it as it tends to let the bolt slip without moving the table.

I have this same model and I have also had the same problem. The board clamping idea is nice in theory, but you'd be surprise at how much force those tables have when the bolts are tightened. They have no problem displacing/denting the wood resulting in a ridge. My best results came from the trial and error method starting with the tables a little low. I found that if you snug them up, but don't bear down on them, you can then use a mallet or dead blow to nudge the table up a bit, then tighten everything down completely.