looking for a "shop knife"

gardnesd

Actually, it is better to have a variety of knives in the shop. I would recomend the following:

a utility knife and a pack of 100 extra blades. The blades also make great scrapers for removing glue from seams

a cheap pocket knife

a good pocket knife, kept in your pocket

a decent paring knife, for opening boxes you want to save

also a first aid kit with a lot of bandaids, if you are a klutz like me.

I also like to have a pair of lineman's pliers, and a pair of shears (like a pair of pants, you only get one in a pair). I like the shears with a notch in one blade to keep things from sliding out. Kitchen shears are usually a good choice.

Speaking of first aid kits, my first aid kits have a packet of clotting factor in case of serious bleeding (arterial, spurting). This stuff was developed for combat medics, and then EMTs started carrying it, and then it became available to "civilians" who were leading wilderness trips, etc. I figure that a wood shop counts as "etc". It's a small sponge which contains an artificial clotting factor. You put it on the wound, and then bandage and apply pressure as usual, and the theory is that it clots super fast and keep the person from bleeding out. Not for a scrape or a nick, only for life threatening bleeding.

I bought mine from Amazon (use the Wood Whisperer link!) I've never used it so I can't give a review or recommendation.

[Edit!] I found out after I posted this, the clotting factor is only a good idea if you are in a remote place and the person will bleed out before help arrives.  The clotting factor messes up the wound and interferes with treatment and healing.  I've taken it out of my first aid kit.

• Like 1

find myself cutting things, rope, strings and tape with chisels. I think its getting pretty dangerous. Can anyone recommend a shop knife, if that's what its called? I have a pocket knife that i sometimes have with me. I would prefer something dedicated to the shop.

Leatherman Wave

2nd choice:

I second Trace's recommendation for a utility knife with lots of spare blades. I prefer the old fashioned kind with the full sized handle and retractable blade. The folding kind seem kinda neat-o, but they seem too small for my comfort. This covers 95% of the time I'd use a knife in the workshop.

If you want something a bit larger, I haven't ordered any of these (yet), but the first thing that came to mind is a Swedish Mora knife. These get discussed on camping / preparedness sites and are reported to be nice quality for a very reasonable price. If you research these, you're likely to see a lot of concurring opinions (and I encourage you not to just take my word for it).

For whatever reason, when I think of a shop knife, I think of something that I'm likely to abuse a bit. All my shop knives (other than the folder in my pocket) are beaters.

Just my 2 cents worth....

I agree with the suggestion of the good 'ole utility knife with a retractable blade. Always have one on me in my carpenter belt. Here's the reason....you can activate it with one hand!! Folders are fine to carry around when you're away but it's so convenient NOT to have to use two hands.

Same reason I prefer a ballpoint pen that you simply push the end. Don't like the ones with a separate cap you have to pull off with 2 hands and then do it again to cap the pen.

If you're looking for a good pocket knife and you cut a lot of rope, I'd recommend this: Spyderco Rescue or it's smaller cousin: Rescue Jr.. If you cut a lot of stuff that benefits from a straight blade instead of serrated, get the combo blade.

This is a favorite of rock climbers because it'll cut a climbing rope in only a few strokes and because it's not "pointy" on the end so you don't stab your rescue victim. Also, it holds an edge very well.

I found what I'm looking for. It's called a buffalo knife 3rd from the last is the one i ordered.buffalo%20knife.jpg

Did you get the straight cutting edge or the curved cutting edge? Out and about I find the curved cutting edges to be more preferable. In the shop I find straight cutting edges more useful.

A device I am constantly amazed at how well it works is a "Slice"

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=64178&cat=1,51222&ap=1

I use it to open all kinds of packages, or break down boxes. It's very handy.

I prefer the (large size) box cutter with snap off blades. Also one handed, real easy to get a fresh edge and you can extend the blade out quite a ways.