Cherry table

I am doing a 4 * 8 solid cherry table 1in thick with 3/4 thick and 2 1/2 wide trim around table and it bolts on 2 plates both 2' by 2' this is going on a 80' boat and is covered by a roof and sides when they put them up, it will also has 3 coats of epoxy top to bottom. Do you see this table warping?

I can't positively say but I sure wouldn't use cherry in that environment whether epoxy or no. 80'? SALT water I assume? Just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Why cherry, other than sheer beauty?

from what i've seen watching yacht shows on the discovery and travel channels, i think you'd be okay. i have seen a lot of cherry used inside the cabins and galleys of these floating fortunes. i would assume the epoxy would provide it with a pretty good level of protection. of course, this is all speculation, but if the billionaires do it, why can't you? (of course i guess they could replace it every week if they needed to) :D

yes it will be exposed to salt and tempeture, it will be under a roof with sides that can be put up, but i think it would be better to use cherry plywood. I dont want to take the chance of it warping, and its cherry because everything in the cabin is cherry. Where this table is going is like a florida room i would say. I think plywood would be the better route to go.

I can't positively say but I sure wouldn't use cherry in that environment whether epoxy or no. 80'? SALT water I assume? Just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Why cherry, other than sheer beauty?

yes there whole cabin is cherry thats why i wanted to make it cherry for the table that is going outside the cabin, i guess you can call it the florida room, but i think im better to use plywood being that solid wood expands. Im learning as i go with this wood working, but when it comes down to doing the work i amaze myself and others, my work has been highly complimented by alot, and thats why i want to keep doing it but have alot to learn.

from what i've seen watching yacht shows on the discovery and travel channels, i think you'd be okay. i have seen a lot of cherry used inside the cabins and galleys of these floating fortunes. i would assume the epoxy would provide it with a pretty good level of protection. of course, this is all speculation, but if the billionaires do it, why can't you? (of course i guess they could replace it every week if they needed to) :D

I was going to use dowels for the trim and tight bound 3 glue, becuace the cherry plywood can seperate. Is that a good idea?. This table will be outside on a boat but more like a florida room its a 80' yaht, so i cant see it warping with 2 1/2 3/4 trim with 3 coats of epoxy and 2 plates 2*2 bolted under it

Plywood is definitely the way to go. AND, be careful of your joinery on the border trim. It will move considerably over both the 4' and 8' lengths. Miters will open.

Manufacturers of marine furniture will often use solid wood with boards spaced slightly apart and breadboard ends.