Bench top Bandsaw - Blade Snappage

mlehikoinen

Today I was doing some cutting of inlay pieces for a box that I'm making when a loud BANG came from the bandsaw and the blade stopped moving, but not before coming out towards my hands slightly. I was cutting a fairly small piece so my hands drew away like lightning (although I doubt it would have been fast enough). No harm thankfully, just a need to check my shorts after turning off the motor which took forever to stop with no tension on the wheel.

The blade had snapped at the weld. I only got the blade a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering if it was badly done or if this may be typical in a 5/8" blade (6 TPI), or should I be going back to the place I got it and demand that they make good on it? The blade is one custom made for the length at a place that specializes in sharpening and custom blades.

Here's a pic of the break

Picture%20001.jpg

It is hard to say what exactly caused it. I definitely have had blades break in my 9" band saw, but it is not real common. It is possible to break a blade while making a tight cut, but more often the blade will pop off the wheels and will need to be reset. There could have been too much tension on the blade as well. However, since it did break at the weld, I do find that a bit suspect. I would take the blade back to them to see if they will do anything for you.

Thanks Mike, I've been in contact and they won't do anything for me saying that I tensioned the blade to tight. Guess I'm looking for a new supplier!

Strange that there isn't notification automatically enabled for posts that you create :lol: Otherwise I would have seen this much sooner!

Thanks Mike, I've been in contact and they won't do anything for me saying that I tensioned the blade to tight. Guess I'm looking for a new supplier!

Strange that there isn't notification automatically enabled for posts that you create :lol: Otherwise I would have seen this much sooner!

Mike, it depends on how a response is made. You should receive notification on this reply to your post up next to your name, because I am specifically responding to your post. You can also choose to follow a post or thread by selecting "Watch Topic" in the top right hand corner.

Generally speaking, a weld that is done properly should be at least as strong as the base metal. Having said that, it's not an easy joint to perfect, since it is very thin metal, the weld has to be ground flat, and the joint is being constantly bent and straightened as the blade goes around the wheels. The smallest defect will act as a stress riser and cause a break like this.

I'm a little surprised they didn't offer to re-weld it for you, since you've had it such a short time. I would expect that if they actually performed the weld in the first place, this would be no big deal. Based on their response, I think finding another supplier is a good idea.

If this were my blade, I'd be tempted to have a go at it with my TIG.