Band Saw

ResidentEvil

Bet you feel like the night before Christmas, hey?

Heck yea, not getting too excited yet as I doubt they will be able to deliver tomorrow since I can't call them until tomorrow morning.

I still have a Shelix sitting on my bench waiting to go into the jointer.

And I have almost no free time tomorrow to do any of the things I want to do.

I just got my 1412 set up a couple weeks ago. Here's one thing that, while obvious in hindsight, isn't specifically called out in the manual: When tensioning and tracking the blade... the tracking will be totally different under tension, but you can't adjust the tracking wheel while the blade is under full tension. Or at least it didn't seem like it was possible on mine. I'd consider getting the tension right first, and THEN adjusting your tracking. 

Watched several setup videos, so I think I'm prepped to get it assembled and set up just right.

I don't know if one of the videos you watched was the one on the Laguna's website, but if it wasn't, you might want to consider it.  Its a pretty good video on the assembly of the saw.

Finally talked to UPS this morning and its not actually going to be here until Friday.  While I do appreciate them calling early to set up a delivery time, I don't like that they got my hopes up that it was actually already here and ready to deliver.

Oh well.  

Also don't like that a Laguna 14SUV just popped up on craigslist for $1000.

Ban saw arrived this afternoon at about 2pm.  From everything (saw, mobile base, blades) completely boxed up, through to guides adjusted and ready to cut, it took me somewhere between 2:15-2:30.  I've never owned a band saw before, and my only experience with them is watching the setup video on Laguna's website.  Assembly was very easy, took a little over an hour of that time.  Setup to cut perfect was the rest of the time.

Saw fit and finish is flawless.  Not a knick or scratch on the machine out of the box.  The table is within a few thou of flat front to back and side to side.  I had read that some owners had problems with the front and back halves leveling where the blade slot is cut out.  On mine there is no lip at all when the hold bolt/pin is installed and tight.

I ignored the blade and guide adjustment procedures in favor of the method that Alex Snodgrass from Carter favors.  The bottom of the gullets are centered on the wheel, and the guides are just a whisper from touching the blade.  The guides were a bit difficult to adjust (took about 45 minutes total), but I put that down to just unfamiliarity and me trying to get it absolutely perfect.  I expect that this time will drastically decrease once I get the hang of it.

Once adjusted I leveled the table and checked the level using a 2x4 as Snodgrass shows in his setup demo.  It was dead on.  I bought a 3/4 resaw king as well as a 1/2" timberwolf blade, I set up using the timberwolf.  Without adjusting the fence for drift at all, I set the fence and rip cut a 18" length of 2x4.  It tracked perfectly with no apparent blade drift.  I drew a line down a piece of 1/2" ply and did the drift test and the back of the blade was resting perfectly in the kerf.

There are really only three cons that I could mention at this time:

1.  The table appears to be too big to remove with a blade installed for easier adjustment of the lower guides.  I can't get it to turn 90 degrees, it hits the back brace of the saw.  Really minor thing, but I think I'd move through the guide adjustment process faster if the table wasn't in the way.  Then again, I'd rather have the larger table, so I'm sure its a wash at worst.

2.  Not a huge fan of the ratcheting screw level things that tighten down the trunnions.  I'd rather have simple knob that I can zip on and off quicker.  Then again, if I'm not removing the table for guide setup its really not much of an issue.

3.  With the tension off the blade, when I adjust the tension knob the upper wheel sometimes sticks in place as opposed to smoothly moving down.  When I first installed the blade, I kept turning the tension lower and lower and couldn't figure out why it was still too tight to get a blade on.  I gave the upper wheel a little wiggle and it bounced down to the tension rest and then I could get the blade on.  Maybe this is a "new saw" thing and it will glide more smoothly with a little wear on it.

Anyhow.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice.  I've honestly never thought much of bandsaws, but after deciding to buy one and then researching all the applications; I imagine I'm going to wonder how I ever got by without one.  Tomorrow the resaw king goes on the saw and I'm going to resaw some spalted tamarind in half that I've been waiting to work with.