Removing Rings from Table

snichols

My mom, bless her heart, set down a metal/plastic cup on my wife's project table and here are the results.

The wood is cherry plywood sanded to 320.

There are two or three coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal over one coat of shellac.

I finished the table about three years ago.

Here are my two questions:

1. Help! How do I get rid of the ring?

2. What is a durable finish for the future as I plan to build a dinning room table from solid walnut and it'll have to endure much worse than this.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Shawn

post-90-0-73692600-1436792918_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-29849900-1436792921_thumb.jpg

When you say mayonnaise, what do you mean? Simply apply some and then wipe it off after a few minutes or hours?

The glass was only there for a day or two. Unfortunately, it seems as though it had a seal leak. It was one of those insulated coffee cups. It was brand new and just went through the dishwasher once; it never even had a drink in it. When I lifted it up a little bit of water came out of the bottom.

I'll look into the Behlen as remover as well.

Fixing the ring depends on the cause and the material – moisture is a good bet. You mention coffee and a potential leaky cup, so heat could be another... Or a combo of the two... Some of these ring-removers work, depending on the finish – but cured poly is kind of sketchy. One complication is ply – depending on whose ply and the adhesive used you could be seeing telegraphing adhesive...

You need a bit more data – is the ring in the poly, in the shellac, in the ply, etc.

On a going-forward basis, look at KCMA-compliant coating systems – mostly post-cat lacquer, conv-varn, etc. You’ll need spray gear...