GF Enduro VAR on Entry Door

Jerry_in_SD

I am building a new entry door (slab) out of African Mahogany.  Typically entry doors have a exterior grade SPAR varnish for the exterior to deal with the elements.  I live in Southern California and my entry way is recessed in such a way that neither sun nor rain hits my door.  I did a sample with EnduroVAR and like the look.  Has almost a oil like look given the amber tone they give EnduroVAR.  Can anyone suggest why using EnduroVAR for my Entry door is a bad idea?   If this door had to deal with the re is no question I would go with spar varnish.  Thanks.

Humidity swings.  Even if you get no direct rain or sun, you still get humidity swings.  Spar varnishes are specifically formulated to be flexible.  They can move with the wood.  Believe it or not, standard interior oil-based poly is more water resistant than oil-based spar varnish.    Standard poly has a higher solids (resins) content than spar varnish.  The solids protect it again moisture.  Spar varnish has more oil in the formulation, so the solids don't cure as hard and remain flexible.

I have no idea what the relative humidity swing is in San Diego.  Here is chicago it is huge (wet summers, dry winters) so you need the flexibility of a spar varnish.

I would call or email General Finishes and see what they say.  They will undoubtedly tell you to use exterior 450, which is their exterior waterbased product.  I really don't know how flexible Endurvar is.  It might be flexible enough to deal with San Diego's humidity changes.  

Thanks all for your response.  I will take your advice and use spar varnish on the exterior.  I will use EV for the interior.

i was favoring the EV as I can spray it and complete 3 coats in one day.  Very user friendly finish. 

I've used EV on our kitchen table top and holds up against water and heavy use quite well.  

Thanks all for your response.  I will take your advice and use spar varnish on the exterior.  I will use EV for the interior.

i was favoring the EV as I can spray it and complete 3 coats in one day.  Very user friendly finish. 

I've used EV on our kitchen table top and holds up against water and heavy use quite well.  

You can spray Exterior 450 and complete in a day.   For your application, a covered door in an area with relatively stable humidity, It should be a good finish, probably better than box store spar varnishes.  Epifanes would be better than exterior 450 but will get real expensive on a door.  

You can spray Exterior 450 and complete in a day.   For your application, a covered door in an area with relatively stable humidity, It should be a good finish, probably better than box store spar varnishes.  Epifanes would be better than exterior 450 but will get real expensive on a door.  

Has anyone here sprayed Epifanes?