Curly Cherry - Finish Prep

Chris H

Hi Folks,

I am working toward completing the gaming table with the bulk of the lumber being Cherry.  As the wood is aging during the build it is becoming more and more clear that the grain has a decent amount of curl in it (picture doesn't really do it justice).  

I have had some trouble with finishing Cherry in the past, with it getting very blotchy on me.  Is there a tried and true method that anyone has come to rely on for finishing cherry, especially with some figure in it?  Ideally I was planning on a stain and spray poly to match our existing cabinetry. However, because of a couple "oops" during the routing of the top frame, I have added some walnut "accents" to essentially make the oops look as though it was on purpose.  So compounding that with the fact that there is significant curl in the grain, I am leaning away from stain at all, and may go with an oil finish.

So in short, I have no idea how I want to finish but would like to settle on a plan, that I can start testing on some scraps so the boss lady can give final approval.

As always, appreciate any guidance!

-Chris

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

Figure IS blotch, essentially.  So either you can go into your finishing with blotch prevention as your goal, or you can go into it with the goal of embracing and intensifying whatever figure you have in your boards.

An oil-based finish is going to pop whatever curl your boards have...that's blotch.  If you want a more uniform color, use a finish that diminishes the figure...a water-based finish or at least start with a coat of shellac or other kind of sealer like the Charles Neil stuff.

Personally I love the warmth and richness of cherry with an oil-based finish.  Blotch is figure to my eye and I prefer the natural look.  YMMV...it's a question of taste and preference.

Nice cabinets, BTW...we're about to put some in our basement just like those.

• Like 1

Figure IS blotch, essentially.  So either you can go into your finishing with blotch prevention as your goal, or you can go into it with the goal of embracing and intensifying whatever figure you have in your boards.

An oil-based finish is going to pop whatever curl your boards have...that's blotch.  If you want a more uniform color, use a finish that diminishes the figure...a water-based finish or at least start with a coat of shellac or other kind of sealer like the Charles Neil stuff.

Personally I love the warmth and richness of cherry with an oil-based finish.  Blotch is figure to my eye and I prefer the natural look.  YMMV...it's a question of taste and preference.

Nice cabinets, BTW...we're about to put some in our basement just like those.

That is of course if the basement ever gets some time for it's owner to spend some time actually re doing the place!