Chicago area

WoodDoesntTalkBack

Hello everyone. I'm from Woodridge, IL and am new to this site. So I just wanted to see how many wood carvers there are in the Chicagoland area. I noticed a few in the "Is anyone out there" topic, but I figured I would start a thread for the Chicagoland people. Now that that is out of the way, does anyone have any projects going for the winter? I was finally able to get back out to the garage last week and search through my old tools and my fathers old tools and was surprised to see the amount of woodworking tools I came up with. It was kind of nice rediscovering things I had years ago and then forgot about because life outside the garage got in the way. I'm sure alot of you know how that feels.

Welcome to the forum, WDTB.

Can I reply even though I'm now in central Iowa?

I was born and raised in Chicago-land.

Born in Skokie, mostly lived in the suberbs. Bought my first house in Naperville, IL, in 1994, moved out here in 2000. My family and some of my woodworking projects are still back in Chicago-land.

My winter project is dust collection.

I'm setting up my new shop, my old shop's Achilles heel was the dust collection (undersized system), so I'm working on that this year. When I say I’m working on it, I should point out that I have a new baby in the house so my time is limited. I hope to have my shop fully operational by Spring.

Again, welcome from central-Iowa to Chicago-land.

Go Bears.

I'm in Chicago but havent done any carving. I work in my garage also so whatever I do in the winter is limited to a corner mostly turning and small shop projects. Now I am playing with applying different finishes to a table to determine what looks the best and what I like using the best.

this weekend will be heading to the woodworking show, its in my backyard and even though I'm not expecting much, the last couple years some of the seminars have been pretty good. If you are looking to connect with carvers that might be something to check out there are usually a couple of clubs there with carvings. Also most of the clubs seem to meet out your way check out Woodcraft by you they used to have club information, I cant think of the club names right now but know one met in Batavia and one at College of dupage and also somewhere else around Downers Grove area.

Welcome

Keith

Chet, thanks for the welcome. And sure, you're more than welcome to reply. Keith, where is this woodworking show? And I actually live about 5min from the Woodcraft on Janes Ave. I was in there yesterday picking up some Basswood. I love the store but they seem a bit pricey for me. Although I do intend to pick up some nice carving knives when I have the cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Sorry I missed the post the show was in Schaumburg. Here are a couple of the clubs I mentioned.

North Suburban Carvers www.northsuburbancarvers.org.

Fox Vally Woodworker club,

Dupage woodworking club

Hickory Hills Woodworking club.

While at the show windy city turners had a flier for the Winter Wood Wonders festival at Pheasant Run in St Charles where WIA was a coupel years ago.

Feb 26 - 27 www.WinterWoodWonders.com