question for the people with unfinished basements

Gary Gilbert

On 2/8/2016 at 9:42 PM, C Shaffer said:

Northern Indiana. I see a lot of one inch lift  against the inside of the sheathing with fiberglass and drywall inside that. Very few are fully foam. As odd as it may be to say XPS is only used as exterior sheathing, ICF is used a bit and that is insulated on both sides. Blown fiber is by far the most used with air infil being targeted by house wraps and coated OSB with taped seams. 

House wraps to block out air is all I ever see here...lots of houses going up around me and I haven't seen any of them using any kind of rigid insulation on the exterior (walls/roof/whatever)...I guess all the building science hasn't worked its way into Chicagoland yet...  ICF is now allowed here either.  We're basically anti-technology around these parts...we can't even use OSB for floor or roof sheathing (only walls)...   Yay building codes!

29 minutes ago, Vyrolan said:

...I guess all the building science hasn't worked its way into Chicagoland yet...  I

Bingo.... all that stuff you see in Fine Homebuilding and on This Old House is pure science fiction....

4 hours ago, sjeff70 said:

I've seen a few of the newer Mike Holmes shows recently and noticed he isn't using the XPS in basements anymore.  He's using a mix of Roxul products which have non-combustible and water repellent properties.     

So back to a valour barrier then?

9 hours ago, Pug said:

So back to a valour barrier then?

Problem with the show is that now the narrative is about the people instead of the process so it's hard to tell what he's doing.  I think he's using a combination of 'Comfortboard IS' and 'Comfortbatt'.  The Comfortbatt is used over the Comfortboard IS, after it is applied to the foundation wall.  The batt is vapor permeable.  I've seen him use a vapor barrier on top of all that in some sections and not in others.  Maybe he wasn't finished with the application yet I don't know.  I started to dismiss it when I thought about how expensive it would be to use all those products and frustrated in the direction the show has gone the last few years.  If I wanted to hear about stories of heart ache and betrayal I could watch Dr. Phil.

Hopefully shaneymack can provide more information.