Belt Sander Poll - Quick Reply!

Renzo

Which belt sander?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which belt sander should I get?

I'm building a table for christmas as i mentioned. And i 've got the top glued up but there are few joints that arent completely perfect. So i'm thinking a belt sander is best to smooth up the top with the least amount of effort.

I'm looking at theDewalt 8a and the Makita

Have any experience with either?

Need to pick this up this afternoon as i'm running out of time to get this baby done before Santa comes!

(btw i'd consider other options but the tools store that carries several models is closed today, and I really want to get the top attached today so i can start finishing by Tuesday)

Ok well i went to look at the dewalt and they had the "house brand" from Canadian Tire, Mastercraft on sale for $49 usually $99 and i had a $25 in Canadian Tire money (dont ask, just think of it as a gift card) So I got it for $25.

It actually worked really well, so $175 saved I think :)

A belt sander is OK for removing a lot of material in a hurry. Not so good for finishing a tabletop. I would recommend using scrapers to remove high edges. I have seen tabletops ruined by trying to sand tops down. Mostly big "S" shaped swirls where the operator moved the sander sideways while working close to an end. Also, I saw a person put too much pressure on a sander which took the user across the shop when the trigger was pulled. I will mention no names, but all of them live here.