Guitar finish

nateswoodworks

My son and I have been building his dream guitar and will soon be starting on the finishing. I have been spraying finishes for several years now but never worked with pre-cat before, does anyone know how spraying it compares to other finishes, I just bought a Earlex as my other gun had seen its better days. I almost always spray water based as its safer with my setup but am willing to spray about anything if it gives the guitar a more durable finish (and can be polished). The other finish I'm considering is GF's Enduro-var. Any thoughts??
Thank you and God bless!
Nate

I spray M L Campbell's Agualente pre cat using a HVLP turbine & gun. Pre cat has a definite shelf life so look closely at the expiration date on every can when you are buying. It sprays just like any other finish. Read and follow the instructions on surface prep, temperatures it can be used etc.

Its a pretty tough finish. Clean your equipment immediately when done, don't put it off until later. 

Thanks for the response! I was planning on going with Targets EM8000, have you used this or have a different suggestion? On last thing, do you know about how long should a person wait before rubbing out the finish with precat? Thanks again, it's kind of nice being forced to use a different finish, after a while I just figured out my finishes of choice and stick to them. 

God bless,

nate

I use ppg deltron for my clear coats. I've also used ppg omni with pretty awesome results though. Doesn't lay on as nicely, but wet sanding and polishing cures all spray ailments. 

Target coatings get Kinda "plastic" looking instead of glass.

What woods are you using? Bit more to the process than spraying a clear coat unfortunately.

Edit: each finish has its own schedule. This can vary based on which catalyst , temp and humidity , etc. I found target to be a bit softer and easier to burn through.