Brett Peterson in Puyallup

petersb

Well I copied this from the last forum and thought that I would post it here since the forum moved just a few days after I joined! Here it is again.

I am Brett Peterson and I live in Puyallup, WA. I started into woodworking about 10 years ago when I recieved a $50 Home Depot gift card from my foreman, at work, for Christmas. I hadn't had much experience with woodworking before that other than a 7th grade woodshop class. I decided to add another $50 of my own to the gift card and buy a Ryobi scroll saw with it.

That is really where I started. I built a small pine shelf with some scrollsawn supports for my girls, I painted it purple, of course. I really enjoyed cutting on the scrollsaw and I convinced myself that a finishing sander would be a great "reward" for completing the shelf for the girls. I bought a DeWalt finishing sander and soon after decided that a random orbit sander would take less "effort" to sand and with better results. This is where the pursuit of more tools and bigger projects began. I think that I considered myself a "woodworker" when I completed a set of maple bunkbeds for my two boys. That was somewhere around 7-8 years ago.

Well now I have a shop with a good set of power tools to get pretty much most woodworking projects done. I have been "fixing up" my shop this summer and getting the space dedicated to just woodworking space and some storage. For the past 5 years, I have worked in a tiny "hole" in the back of the garage because most of the space was taken up with "junk" that seemed to keep growing. I was fighting tool surface rust and I was really frustrated with the shop space overall. My Dad made a few suggestions on how to improve the lighting and the area that I had to work and so I started to do just what he suggested. It turned into a much larger project than I had started out on. Now I can say that the shop space is truly a "woodshop" and is dedicated to that.

Now I am able to go out into the shop and find a tool that I need and actually have the space to use it!

I would pretty much consider now, (July/August 2010) the time to start thinking about woodworking with a bit more of a purpose in mind and to try and expand my skills and spend more time in the shop. I don't have any goals to become a paid professional but, a serious hobbyist. I enjoy making things that will be used and appreciated for generations to come. I hope that one day my great, great, great garndchildren will still be using the things that I build today.

Thanks for reading

Brett Peterson

Well, the thread title caught my attention... as I'm from Puyallup myself. I'm no longer there, moved away in '96, and I'm sure it's no longer even close to what I remember.

But your named seemed familiar to me too. Either that, or I'm just even more under the influence of my kids and confused as usual.

Anyways, good to see a fellow Puyallupian(?), hopefully a fellow Ram ('93) and not a Viking... Course I heard there's a third now...

Steve

Well, the thread title caught my attention... as I'm from Puyallup myself. I'm no longer there, moved away in '96, and I'm sure it's no longer even close to what I remember.

But your named seemed familiar to me too. Either that, or I'm just even more under the influence of my kids and confused as usual.

Anyways, good to see a fellow Puyallupian(?), hopefully a fellow Ram ('93) and not a Viking... Course I heard there's a third now...

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have been in the Puyallup area for about 16 years. I was a Charger (Kentridge 90'), not a Ram, sorry. The area has probably grown up a bit since you left, some good, some not so good. It is still a nice area to live in.

If you left in 96, there were about 3 years overlap there so we may have encoutered each other, it's probably just a hometown connection though.

Take Care Steve

Brett