Small projects for a competition

Xaromir

Hello good people.

Story time:

I'm in a community called worth1000, it's all about competing with each other.

We had a HxH (contest started by a user) in september, it was a lot of fun and we maybe would like to do it again.

Problem:

We are lacking project ideas. I will see what they come up with, but i thought it would be a good idea,

to also ask here for that purpose.

The problem is, that it must be small and doable, not everyone needs a new table,

and not everyone will have a shop full of tools.

It also must give us a bit of creative freedom.

Any ideas?

If you are interested: Last time our topic was "small wooden box".

Here it is:

http://www.worth1000.com/contests/25610/h5h-small-wooden-box

I know there is tons of stuff we could do, but you know how it is, when you need those ideas there will be nothing. :lol:

On a personal note:

I wasn't quite finished, here is it as mine is now:

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/Xaromir/vers2-1.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/Xaromir/vers2-2.jpg

I put maple on the inside and cut the top inlay into the 2. lid.

Wow, nice clever box, Xaromir. Love the fleur-de-Lys inlay.

As for the competition, maybe a competition based on material. Those seem popular here. Think of "a project from one 6/4 maple board 8" wide by 48" long"; you could get the boards from a supplier in advance then it's everybody on their own with ideas, methods, tools. Or maybe make 4 columns on a piece of paper. List some woods in the first, some accent woods in the second, metals in the third, and maybe a specialized techniques list in the fourth; everybody gets to pick 1 from each column for their project to qualify.

Wow, nice clever box, Xaromir. Love the fleur-de-Lys inlay.

As for the competition, maybe a competition based on material. Those seem popular here. Think of "a project from one 6/4 maple board 8" wide by 48" long"; you could get the boards from a supplier in advance then it's everybody on their own with ideas, methods, tools. Or maybe make 4 columns on a piece of paper. List some woods in the first, some accent woods in the second, metals in the third, and maybe a specialized techniques list in the fourth; everybody gets to pick 1 from each column for their project to qualify.

Well we are in different parts of the planet, so getting X times the same kind of board would be difficult,

since having the same supplier is not doable,

i personally still haven't found a great supplier, i have to buy what ever i can get.

But i really like what you've said after that. It gives us a common base,

without that someone would have to build something he doesn't want/need to participate,

and it leaves a lot of room for creative working.

The box started here actually, someone in the chat pointed me to Roy Underhill,

and i became really fascinated with his little greasepot. Bit of a fan now,

he is on my list of people i want to meet. :D

I think the trick is to not only keep it small scale, but also focused, while at the same time broad enough to allow interpretations.

My ideas off the top of my head are a mirror frame, shelf, lamp/light fixutre. Or you could go Iron Chef-style and say that you must use ______ as the prominent design feature.