Fixing a Screw-up

Anthony Miller

Hi guys! First off, thanks for taking a moment to read this.

So, here's my issue. I have been finishing a table-top with clear satin Verathane indoor oil-based polyurethane. Unfortunately, I think I put my third coat on a little soon after my second coat and I got really bad orange peel in one spot. So I tried to sand that out and put another coat on top of it. Well, I just ended up with brush marks, really thick spots, and some terrible leveling issues where the orange peel was annnnnnd more orange peel. :/ Can I fix this or am I screwed and do I have to start over?

WP_20160529_16_00_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20160529_16_00_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20160529_16_02_43_Pro.jpg

Thanks!

This was brushed with a fine brush for one coat and foam brushes for the others. It is clear satin Verathane indoor oil-based polyurethane. 3 of the 4 coats were done with about 5 days between, however, between coats 2 and 3, there was only three days and that's when I got the orange peel. This last coat was 8 days ago.

Oh, sorry, this was flat. I made the mistake of going back and attempting to touch up a couple spots while putting the last coat on, I think I just may have taken too long to get back over to it. The second photo is my biggest concern. I am pretty sure I can wet sand the brush marks and high spots out.

I have had good luck using a card scraper to feather out the elevation difference. Then scuff sand, and add another coat or two. 

I have also had good luck with a touch of of lacquer thinner on my finger or slightly dampened cloth to feather the elevation by slightly melting and wiping it. I do mean slightly damp or the lacquer thinner will act as a stripping agent.