new jointer blades

Beechwood Chip

I'm installing new blades on my Ridgid jointer, and the owner's manual says to clean the crud off of everything. So I washed the wedges and cutter-head slots down with mineral spirits. I'm wondering if I should apply a coat of something as a rust inhibitor before re-assembling. The instructions don't say, but that metal looks vulnerable with all the grease washed off.

Also, the new blades (Freud) came with a coat of Cosmoline or something similar. I'm thinking of leaving it on to protect the blades, but I'm not sure.

Any advice?

Hey Beech, I would take all that stuff off. That is me though. If you have a problem with moisture in your shop then I would put a coat of wax or something on the exposed metal. Boeshield T-9 or Bostick Topcoat would work as well. All that stickey stuff will just collect saw dust.

• Like 1

I watched Marc's video a couple of times before starting, and bought a OneWay on his recommendation. I like the gauge - it's very easy to use. I also got a set of feeler gauges and this 36" steel straightedge from Eagle America with the Guild discount. I'd recommend getting one that is flat on the "good" side so that you can stand it up. I'm using the "back" side of mine.

So far, it's been a frustrating process. I'll post a "lessons learned" and review of the blades when I'm done.

I would definitely get rid of the greasy stuff from the blades. I've never put wax on my planer blades in the past. I bet that stuff gets abraded off the blades PRETTY fast with the planer in use. Might be pointless. I suspect that the same might true for any rust if you use the planer frequently. Also, the blades are probably high speed steel so they may be more rust resistant than the usual cast iron stuff.

One tip to consider is to blow off the wood dust and chips that might be left on the blades after you are done with the planer. Wood is hygroscopic and can accelerate rust if you leave it on the metal for a long period without use.

R