Jewelry Box

So an advantage of the Magic Trackpad is a two-finger resize for viewing :) That said, very nice box, and I'm not being gentle :) I like the barrel hinges; they're elegant. Would be nice to see a picture of it closed for the full effect. The only really really really serious error you made was making it have a huge capacity... because now you have to buy a lot of jewelry to fill it up (d'oh! tool money!)

For y'all without the Magic Trackpad, here's a cropped and scaled version of what Brian posted (I cropped the furnace register :))

post-50-0-18306000-1294129766_thumb.jpg

Magic Trackpad? :blink: Is that a Lee Valley thing, or Rockler?

So an advantage of the Magic Trackpad is a two-finger resize for viewing :)

Your touchpad will do the same thing, two fingers spread apart, then close them together. Do the opposite to enlarge. Or... (this one is real techie, and still two fingers) Ctrl - to reduce, Ctrl + to enlarge. Ctrl 0 (that's the number, not the letter) to reset everything.

But I digress...

Great box Brian. I see you got over the aluminium hook problem nicely. Three questions:

1. The hinge stop (or support) - goes into the the box wall when the lid closes? I think it must do. So - how d'you do that?

2. Inside the lid, I see the hooks at the top, and a hinged batten (for want of a better description) at the bottom? Is that to trap the diamond necklaces when the lid closes?

3. Right hand side removable drawer - what are the kerfs in the divisions for? (If it's a mistake, you can say something like 'airflow' or 'anti-tarnishing' sysem).

Slightly OT. I'm hoping that this will be the 'year of the box' for me too, but you guys (I'd perfer to use 'chaps' but it seems to have gone out of fashion in the UK) seem to be way ahead of the curve. It 's just that I can't bear calling these little gems a 'box'. Not sufficiently classy for such good work. Box has no poetry to it, wooden box is worse. So, come on, how can I say "Just look at the skill/craftsmanship/chatoyance in that gorgeous ..." without using the word box.

Perhaps a jewellery case? The Italians have it licked in this case - it's portagioie which is an interesting play on words, 'porta' means carry, but 'gioie' means both jewels and joys.

So come on, we need a 'joycarrier' here, like the one Brian made...

John

Magic Trackpad? :blink: Is that a Lee Valley thing, or Rockler?

1. Hinge stop is from Brusso:

http://www.brusso.com/Product/html/item.php?item=jb-250

2. I need to add some foam and felt to back of top piece that is hinged so it can keep necklaces from flopping around.

3. The kerfs are for earings that have a through wire and can hand in the slot for display.

Thanks for the kind words.

Brian

Your touchpad will do the same thing, two fingers spread apart, then close them together. Do the opposite to enlarge. Or... (this one is real techie, and still two fingers) Ctrl - to reduce, Ctrl + to enlarge. Ctrl 0 (that's the number, not the letter) to reset everything.

But I digress...

Great box Brian. I see you got over the aluminium hook problem nicely. Three questions:

1. The hinge stop (or support) - goes into the the box wall when the lid closes? I think it must do. So - how d'you do that?

2. Inside the lid, I see the hooks at the top, and a hinged batten (for want of a better description) at the bottom? Is that to trap the diamond necklaces when the lid closes?

3. Right hand side removable drawer - what are the kerfs in the divisions for? (If it's a mistake, you can say something like 'airflow' or 'anti-tarnishing' sysem).

Slightly OT. I'm hoping that this will be the 'year of the box' for me too, but you guys (I'd perfer to use 'chaps' but it seems to have gone out of fashion in the UK) seem to be way ahead of the curve. It 's just that I can't bear calling these little gems a 'box'. Not sufficiently classy for such good work. Box has no poetry to it, wooden box is worse. So, come on, how can I say "Just look at the skill/craftsmanship/chatoyance in that gorgeous ..." without using the word box.

Perhaps a jewellery case? The Italians have it licked in this case - it's portagioie which is an interesting play on words, 'porta' means carry, but 'gioie' means both jewels and joys.

So come on, we need a 'joycarrier' here, like the one Brian made...

John

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...