Finish for maple mantel

Irvingj76

Finishing up a maple fireplace mantel and starting to think about finishing. Plan on paint an off white color and need advice on priming, painting and sealing. Can I use a standard exterior primer with a semigloss paint and then seal with a poly acrylic spray? Should I brush on the primer and paint? Thanks

I would use a good furniture paint, Milk Paint. NOT THAT MILK PAINT, :rolleyes: General Finishes Milk Paint. :)

It 's self priming. No primer needed. Great for both new and finished wood because it has excellent adhesion.

General Finishes (on the Pro side) makes a primer, it has a tannin blocker. So if your painting woods with knots, tannin issues or that are sappy and prone to bleeding, the primer helps stop that. But in your case, I see no reason to use any available primers.

So if this were me, I would just coat with Milk Paint. Also, since this is a mantle which is probably going to receive standing picture frames, candle holders and an occasional can of cold beer while you poke a fire. A top-coat of General Finishes High Performance or the Poly Acrylic water-based, for added protection.

Brush or spray, its up to you. Hope this helps.

EF-milk-paint-250_0.jpgEF-High_Performance_Topcoat.jpg

-Ace-