Painting baltic birch

Jim_

I am about to start a project and I want to use birch plywood can you paint the edges of it and get a good finish or is it best to edge joint with poplar. also what is the best way to paint birch?

Crazy timing, Jim. Right now, I'm making torsion box shelves with baltic birch skins and poplar edging. They will be painted white. Unless you want the plies to show through, you should do something to cover it first. Either edge it with baltic birch or use woodfiller or spackle.

One of my other hobbies (the one that led to woodworking coincidentally) was building high power rockets. While I tended to specialize more in exotic material like fiberglass, kevlar and carbon fiber, many kits and design mock ups were done in cardboard tubes and 9-ply baltic birch fins.

There are a couple of tricks for finishing the edges to take paint. A glue (CA for small parts, epoxy for larger pieces) mixed with a sandable filler works nicely and adds some impact stability to the exposed edge. For more cosmetic edges, aircraft builders use a 2-part material called Super-Fil, but it's basically Bondo - that works very well.

Just be sure to sand, clean, fill, sand and prime prior to painting. I'll got baltic birch edges that have flown beyond Mach 1 in excess of 10,000 feet and then landed under chute on the harsh desert floor without a scratch using rattle can paint. good luck!