Forrest Woodworker II

Nyles

2 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

Dont know anything about them, but how many times can they be sharpened before they need replacing?

More than I'll ever see in my lifetime.  Partly b/c I have several blades, but I'd surprised if you couldn't get 10 or more sharpenings from all of them.....depends on the particular sharpener of course.  They all have pretty big carbide tips.  I dare say the Super General's teeth are the tallest of these 3.  The Amana 610504 mentioned previously has some of the biggest carbide teeth I've encountered.  

18 hours ago, Mike. said:

Right now I am running this blade

https://www.amazon.com/Amana-Tool-610504-Combination-10-Inch/dp/B000P4UNN0

And it seems just as good, or better, than my Forrest blades.  I have decided that Forrest blades are totally overpriced.  

I've never used a Forrest blade, but I've used Freud and Amana blades. I've found that I get flawless results with Amana blades and they usually cost less than Freud, and always cost less than Forrest. I don't see myself ever shelling out the cash for Forrest blades if I get great results elsewhere.

I use the same blade (except I have the .126" kerf not the .135" kerf) about 80% of the time. I have a dedicated ripping blade if I am ripping a lot of material. I also have a dedicated plywood & melamine blade. But if I am working on small parts and find myself needing to rip and crosscut back and forth, this blade does a great job.

-E

My saw is probably very close to what you have.  I have a 10" Craftsman contractor saw from the late 70's or Early 80's with a 1.5 HP motor.  I've been using a full kerf Freud Premier fusion 40T combo blade in it.  It's a great blade for crosscutting (I use a sled for clean and accurate cuts) but I do have issues ripping with that blade in the saw.  It's very common for it to bog down on the hard stuff and it's also very common for me to get burning on woods like cherry or even maple.  I'm going to pick up a thin-kerf ripping blade before my next project to see how much it helps.

I looked hard at the Forrest WW2 but just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $50 over the Freud especially when you can easily find Prime eligible resellers on Amazon for the Freud blades.