End Table

dublinmark

Here is the end table that I finished just before Christmas. the top and legs are cherry, and the apron and inlay are walnut. Here is what I think of it, and I'm open to hearing what ya'll think.

1- inlay - this was my first shot at doing inlay, and they are not great. I started just messing around and used some 1/4 walnut ply to make the bow ties. don't ever do that, you can't sand them much...woops. I hadn't watched Mark's inlay video when I made this, and there is a lot in there that would have helped me in this process. I filled the little gaps with walnut putty, but even that shows up.

2 - legs - I think they are two thick. I like the taper, but should have started with thinner stock.

Thanks for looking!

Mark

post-3074-0-65274900-1294534151_thumb.jp

post-3074-0-69082600-1294534165_thumb.jp

post-3074-0-51565100-1294534180_thumb.jp

post-3074-0-27263900-1294534200_thumb.jp

post-3074-0-24901700-1294534212_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say I like the thicker legs. The taper looks great. I also like the top, the bowties aren't as bad as you think. I find that most people don't notice what I think is a glaring problem. Besides, you've now learned a ton about inlays.

I struggle with the Walnut stretchers. I would have preferred the legs to match the stretchers or the stretchers to match the legs. Perhaps at least to have the cherry legs connect to the cherry top and then the walnut stretchers could have spanned the space between the legs. As it is now I feel the legs and the top are disconnected from each other... I hope that makes sense.

Over all, its a nice table with about the right amount of visual interest. I'd say you did a nice job.

I agree with Chet. I am not a huge fan of the walnut/cherry combo to make up the structure of the table. I'd like to see the apron and legs have the same wood (or combination), and the top to be different. I like continuity in the "structure" of the table, and the top can be whatever you like.

Maybe the aprons could be strips of the walnut/cherry. Something like a strip of cherry, a thicker strip of walnut and a thin strip of cherry. Then the flow from leg to top would be a bit more seemless.

Not intending to be mean, I agree with most of your critiques on your own work; however, I disagree with your starting with the negatives. First list your successes even if they're qualified successes. Then try to list your negatives in a more positive tone. Perhaps include what you'd do next time. If you're not sure what to do next time, perhaps that's where to request help. I see many successes in your project from a construction viewpoint. Roll with those when you start your next project and don't beat yourself up! :)