MFT/3 or ez-1

Seth Clayton

Hi everyone! 

I got either the Festool MFT/3 or the EZ-1 workbench for xmas, and now I just need to pick which one. 

I don't currently own a track saw, but am willing to add one to my workshop. I build a lot of boxes out of plywood and start with 4'x8' sheets. I don't own any festool equipment at this stage, but would like to slowly acquire some.

I like the features of the MFT, but wish it could handle a 4'x8' sheet under the guide rail. 

The EZ-1 lacks some of the modularity of the MFT, but can handle a full sheet to crosscut. I can also use their baseplate with one of my current circular saws. 

I'd appreciate any advice as to which system to go with. 

TIA!

Seth

I am not familiar with the EZ-1, but recently bought an MFT.  It is incredibly simple, but useful.  I agree...not sure why you wouldn't build it to handle at least the 48" cut needed for a full sheet, but I do think a very simply extension could be build to accommodate larger work support.

You really don't need the full table to have the perfect holes.  The reference points of purpose, at least for me, are just the fence and the blade guide.  The rest is just waste.  I am using a Makita TS on my FS MFT simply because it's what I had already.  If you are looking to invest in a TS, don't just right to Festool, shop around.  FS may be what is best for you, but price is steep, and I am not sure it's a better product.  I've read a lot of reviews that are very very happy with the Makita and it's about half the price.  I love mine, though I'll admit, I haven't had a FS to know for sure. The Makita does all I need it to do, and does it well.  

The EZ1 looks overpriced for what it is. You can build a much better solution for far less. This guy made a nice thing with some 2x4s... Not sexy, but it gets the job done.

I have an MFT and the TS75, and really like them. I made a 4x8 assembly bench with 20mm holes so I can use Qwas Rail Dogs for larger work. Works very well... I wish I had made it sooner.

Here is a pic... I plan on adding some slides to provided easier access to the Systainers. As an added benefit, it is plenty sturdy for hand planing. All in all, I have two sheets of 3/4 ply, and a sheet of 3/4 MDF and about two hours into putting this together. I drilled the holes myself, easy to do.. Just double check the diagonals to make sure you stay aligned. But if you are just interested in straight cuts, you'll be fine with a few along the front edge and some near the middle. Keep in mind how far you can reach towards the middle while having control of your tracksaw. 15369753_10211683558112654_1980785354_o.jpg15388638_10211682706011352_1710603046_o-2.jpg

• Like 1

If you do decide to go the self built method, you can use a CNC or contract out to cut a pattern template, to ensure your circles are dead perfect.  You will need the qwas dogs or some other hole dog to make it work.  Shouldn't cost you more than a couple bucks for the time to program your hole pattern and then punch in thickness of your router bearing and away you go.  (Maybe a commercial option out there too.)

This is on my list of things to do.  Love the setup Llama's got going.  Only mod I'd probably make is tossing some extruded aluminum rails around it and dropping some kind of rail and TS system on to get the super easy, perfect square cut all the time.  

Looks like you can also buy the "bridge" from EZ for $250 if you wanted to just build your own.  This seems far more economical.  Not sure how they $750 of value out of the rest of it to be honest.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chris H said:

This is on my list of things to do.  Love the setup Llama's got going.  Only mod I'd probably make is tossing some extruded aluminum rails around it and dropping some kind of rail and TS system on to get the super easy, perfect square cut all the time.  

Thanks. I would have done mine differently if I were replacing my MFT, or if I didn't have one. This was really thrown together because I desperately needed something to be able to get stuff done on. I had a few projects that had to get done, and balancing a walnut slab on the top of a filing cabinet wasn't working too well as a bench. :)

Yes, I really did that...