Bench finished for now

nikbrown

So when we moved into our new house about 6 months ago the former owners left me this great bench.

4990822445_1577238a7d_z.jpg

I was going to build a new bench but with some great wood here I decided to retrofit this one. It was incredibly out of flat and the top was nailed together.

I dont have time for a full description of the process right now but I finally finished the bench today (well at least for now its finished). The upcoming guild build forced me to spend the weekend in the shop trying to whip it into shape enough to start the build next week (poor me :))

No front vice yet (havent decided what I'm doing there yet. I may get a Lee Valley twin screw, or I hear rumor they are working on something new. The tail vice is the new Lee Valley quick release that I picked up at WIA.

bench_finished.jpg

Looks great! What finish did you apply to the top of the bench? I bought a Hoffman and Hammer workbench from Highland Woodworking and I'm thinking that I need to put something on the wood.

I used a bunch of danish oil on it... never had any bench but MDF so I have no idea if this was the best choice; but "the schwarz" used it on one of his benches so I figured it couldn't be too bad of a mistake. :D

So I installed a french cleat system on the wall in front of the bench last night. Anyone have photos of great wall hanging tool holders they have made? I'll need to hang dividers, chisels, squares, japanese pull saws, marking gauges, etc...

You will love your french cleats!

For lots of things, all you need is a simple peg. I've attached some pictures of holders I've made for things that don't hang so well on pegs. Here are some hints for when you start making your holders:

1. Your holders will be a lot more stable if they have a piece that bears against the wall below the cleat. I think all the ones I have shown here are like that.

2. You can make a holder really stable by driving a wedge between the holder and the cleat. The picture of the air hose reel shows how this works. Most of the time you won't need the wedge, but it really helped with the hose reel because otherwise it tried to jump off the cleat when I turned the crank.

3. I don't use my nasty high speed bench grinder all that much, so I mounted it on a base that will hang on a cleat. I clamp the base to my bench when I want to use the grinder, and leave it hanging on the cleat out of the way when I don't. Same thing for my mechanic's vise.

4. You can save a lot of time making the holders if you start by making some long "blanks" as shown in the hand-drawn sketch. Then when you want to make a specialized holder, just whack a piece the size you need from the end of the blank, and you're instantly halfway done.

-- Russ

post-685-0-49758000-1294763137_thumb.jpg post-685-0-76907500-1294763067_thumb.jpg post-685-0-28096700-1294763098_thumb.jpg