Ageing Fir?

petersb

Anyone have any experience making new douglas fir look aged? Not distressed, just that deep reddish brown that fir gets when is ages. Sunlight? Maybe stain? Shellac?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have made a few pieces with fir and also refinished some of the old fir in the house and none of the new/refinished pieces have caught up to the richness of color that the untouched pieces still have. One of the pieces is about five years old and not even close.

Thanks

Btw Brett..I'm not positive on that. I've seen bleached out fir in the out of doors, too. But, I'm figuring that was from exposure to the elements. Wait for other responses. Mine definitely has what Sylvia likes to call "ass matter" on it. ;)

• 1 month later...

Being a fellow west coaster I use allot of fir in my projects. Shellac will give you the patina your looking for with a nice sheen. even clear coat Varathane darkens fir quite a bit.

But colour matching can be a royal pain in the a$$.

My neighbour has just re-re-finished a built in he made for a client after trying to match their fir baseboards. 2 week project turned into 4 weeks.....ouch

Stampy