inside of a cabinet

Jim_

I'm with ace on this one. I made a jelly cupboard about 4 months ago and used an oil based polyurethane in it. It still has a strong smell when you open the door. Gettin better over time but still will knock ya back a bit when you open it. Ive been using Water base poly since then and it doesn't hardly have an oder at all. Especially Min wax in the blue can. The only downfall would be that I don't think it would be as tough as the shellac if your scootin things across it.

CaptFerd

Especially Min wax in the blue can.

Hey Capt....if we can just get you off the alcohol shellac and Minwax and try some General Finishes High Performance, I know it costs more, but is sprays and lays down so nice and an extremely tough finish, tougher if you add in a shot or two of the cross linker, should be no problems for those jam jars :) You can even thin the High Performance with 50% water and make your own blotch control.

-Ace-

One other option that hasn't been mentioned (at least for future projects) is to use prefinished plywood. I've used maple before, and it sure saved a lot of time/headaches when compared to staining and finishing the inside of a cabinet. The only drawback, and it's a considerable one, is when the prefinished panel is not an acceptable color or sheen. Then you're back to what Ace says.

School Board

Hey Capt....if we can just get you off the alcohol shellac and Minwax and try some General Finishes High Performance, I know it costs more, but is sprays and lays down so nice and an extremely tough finish, tougher if you add in a shot or two of the cross linker, should be no problems for those jam jars :) You can even thin the High Performance with 50% water and make your own blotch control.

-Ace-

Believe me Im trying, but its so hard to find a 12 step program around here to help get me off the stuff :D:D:D

But your so right this last project was strickly water base General Finishes with the exception of that water based blue can thing. No Oders and everything washes up in the sink.

Capt Ferd

One other option that hasn't been mentioned (at least for future projects) is to use prefinished plywood. I've used maple before, and it sure saved a lot of time/headaches when compared to staining and finishing the inside of a cabinet. The only drawback, and it's a considerable one, is when the prefinished panel is not an acceptable color or sheen. Then you're back to what Ace says.

School Board

I completed a built-in cabinet using the pre-finished ply (Birtch in this case). Nice product but it did smell awful for the first few weeks. Fortunately, the case work was done for some time and sat in my garage for several weeks so the smell diminished. I was surprised as you would think it was sprayed many weeks prior to my purchase but the smell was there...