Walnut kitchen table/island

jimmykx250

Im in the prosses of milling the boards up to make a kitchen table. I bought 8/4 slabs and im ripping 2" pieces out of them standing them on end and glueing them together. Because the boards are on edge do I need to worry about expansion? If im thinking correctly the expansion/contraction will happen on the table top or bottom but not across the width. I want to wrap the top with a zebrawood apron. Thanks

Im in the prosses of milling the boards up to make a kitchen table. I bought 8/4 slabs and im ripping 2" pieces out of them standing them on end and glueing them together. Because the boards are on edge do I need to worry about expansion? If im thinking correctly the expansion/contraction will happen on the table top or bottom but not across the width. I want to wrap the top with a zebrawood apron. Thanks

Depends on which part of the tree the boards came from in the first place. Timber shrinks, and warps, if it's going to, away from the heart centre. If you look at the end of your boards to see which way the growth rings are going, probably in a roughly arc shape from one side to the other. Now place them all with the growth rings travelling in the same direction. If you mark both sides of your slabs with say three chalk marks one side and two the other before ripping you will know which way up they were to start. Then if you alternate them one with three marks up and the next with two marks up you should alternate the direction of the growth rings and that's about as much as you can do to make sure every thing stays nice and flat and shrinks the minimum.

Good luck.