slightly new look to wood ID site

phinds

I've started modifying the individual wood pages to show a brief summary of the look and characteristics of the wood right up at the top of the page, for those woods where I have enough pics to pull this off. Right now I'm focusing on the woods for which I have already created a fact sheet.

Feedback appreciated ... anything I could do to make it more useful?

Here's an example:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/butternut.htm

I only looked at 3 different woods but those were excellent ! After 40 years woodworking seeing pictures that are so varied yet instantly recognizable. Those end grain shots are great and obviously a lot of effort to get just right. The Peruvian Walnut pictures had plenty of visual clues that were instant memory triggers ( that's exactly what I have seen and used )

27 minutes ago, Eric. said:

It's an incredibly useful site, I reference it all the time.  I sometimes have trouble finding things...a search feature would be great.

Eric, have you noticed that below the first part of the main page there is a table that says " There are 4 ways to view the total index for this wood identification site: " ?

You might want to try out the botanical name or common name options. They give the ability to search for specific common name and specific species

5 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Ah...no, I always missed that.  That definitely makes things easier.  Thanks Paul.

Yeah, the constant problem that I have with the site is that there is SO much there that I've been unable to find an arrangement that makes it all obvious and accessible. For example, there are a number of good articles that I doubt very many people ever even get to even though there is a link on the front page to ALL ARTICLES.

I'm often surprised at how few people have ever looked at the massive, highly illustrated and heavily cross-referenced glossary. That alone took well over 1,000 hours of effort

7 minutes ago, drzaius said:

There is so much info there & such a huge variety of pics. So many wood ID sites will only have a few, which can't begin to show the variances within a species. Nice work.

Thanks. Yeah, Eric Meier has a great site (The Wood Database) but I've always thought that it suffers enormously from the fact that he has only a few pics per wood. There are almost no woods for which there is a "normal" or "typical" look, so I've always felt that multitudinous pics is an absolute necessity for a wood ID site.