"A mans word"

jab73180

What does "a mans word" mean? it doesnt mean what my daddy taught me any more. i found a delta X5 6" jointer on craigslist for $400. i emailed him yesterday and wanted to see it today, but he didnt get back to me till later in the day. so i called him and asked him questions about it. i asked him the usual questions, how old, how hard has it been used and if the price was firm. he said make an offer so i offered $300 and he very quickly said yes. i guess i should have started at $250. so i asked him if i could see it tommorrow but he was busy. i said probaly this weekend at some point and i would call him. he took my name and number and said i had first refusal. i was pumped, thats a pretty good deal for an almost new jointer. i get an email a few hours later saying he had sold it to a local contractor, i am sure for more money. that is a pretty crap ass thing to do wouldnt you say. i called him and he said sorry.

I buy a lot off Craigs list. Shake it off Jason. You can't win them all. This is typical and what I have experienced from time to time. You have to learn to be patient. Things happen for a reason <_<...at least he e-mailed back and said it was sold.

If you really want it...sometimes you have to pay the asking price. I have gone to dudes house to buy my purchase...if you spark up a conversation...he may have other stuff he wants to sell. Mostly guys are either upgrading or getting out of woodworking all together. Chances are these machines have been sitting around anyway...they are in no hurry to sell...just depends.

-Ace-

I've used craigslist quit a bit to buy and sell a bunch of different items. I learned real quick there a bunch flakes on craigslist. I've had people not show up when they say they are on there way. I've also called, talked about an item and said I was coming to get it and they are gone by the time i get there. Anymore I don't call unless I am able to jump in my truck and go get it right away, and when selling I'm very clear that I don't hold items, first one with cash gets it.

You might try something like snarfer. They have a craigslist keyword search that works great and you can set it for one or multiple cities.

that is a pretty crap ass thing to do wouldnt you say.

Absolutely!

But, remember most people are good. It's just the small percentage of folks who just don't get it.

The problem with people who don't get it is they don't get that they don't get it. ... Get it?

Like others have said Graig's list can be a goldmine, but sometimes you get the shaft.

I had a very similar experience to this on my first craigslist experience when buying a table saw. And your right, the first time it hits you, it sucks! I have since made a couple craigslist purchases (including a table saw that is now my primary saw) all have been successful.

"a man's word" doesn't mean much, because what a man says, and what a man does, are, quite often, two different things, especially when money is involved.

Don't let this one get to you Jason, it may happen again. Just don't let what others do, change the way you do things unless it is for the better.

I have only had one Craigslist experience and it was a very positive one, so the good guys, and deals, are still out there. Keep looking for them!