Rustic finish for alder

TBaiga

While doing some cabinetry project planning, we decided (my wife and I) to build with alder/knotty alder because we like the rustic look. She came across this photo of an A&C style door made from alder. Can any of the resident finishing gods prescribe the approach taken to produce this finish?

post-3071-0-40820600-1295395132_thumb.jp

I am use a lot of alder and for exterior I use Sikkens. First Coat Cetol 1 and second coat is a Cetol 23.

The finish they are using is mostly a teak finish (according to Sikkens catalog) and you can get it darker with either dark oak or Walnut. This looks great.

That is the stain I used all over my house. If you mix 50% teak and 50% dark oak you will come very close to that look. I can show you some pictures of what I did.

Thanks guys. Teak and Oak stain, never thought about combining them. That's a great place to start.

So alder can be blotchy...hmmm. Have to see what the boss prefers, lol! looks like I'll be getting a can of Charles Neil blotch control as well as some stains and start with making some test swatches.