My new workshop 2.0

TheSwede

Gents,

New to the forum. Have been fideling around with woodworking for some time now and hope to be living off it one day.

First step to do that is to set up a propper shop. I have one which I equipped about 8 years ago but now found it not sufficent for me needs.

I thougt I post about its progress here and hope to hear some comments.

The total shop is about 6 x 10 meters (sorry for the metric, dont understand your inches :unsure: )

First thing was to improve insulation, we have about 5 month of winter here in Sweden

Second thing was to even out the floor, it is just raw concrete that was never even when first poored out.

I'm gooing to use a selfe evening mass for this (dont know the name in english)

I got my first machine just now, and it will be delivered this week (can't wait to get my teeth in that one) :D

It is a used Felder K915 P from 2004 in mint condition.

felder915.bmp

My next buy is most likely going to be the Felder AD 741 combi Jointer/planer Very nice machine, but also very expensive.

FelderAD741.jpg

Hand tools I have most of what I need, and for power hand tools I'm completly hooked on the Festool range, I simply love their quality and system approach.

I'll be back with some more as the transition to the new shop progress.

Welcome to the forum.

Your shop sounds great. The dimensions you mention make it about 20 x 33 feet. Which is a good size. Here in the US we often use square feet to describe a space and yours would be about 650 square feet. Which I think is about perfect for a one man shop. With regard to the concrete we just call that concrete leveler... Yeah, I know it’s not a very clever name. Hey but don't worry your English is far better than my Swedish. … god eftermiddag … I hope that’s right.

I once had the pleasure of using a Felder Table Saw. It was really nice. I’m not sure if it was the Felder K915 P. But they make very nice stuff. As you probably know the European style of table saw is different than what most American's use. For example, American Table Saws almost never have a sliding table. (There are some exceptions, but it’s pretty rare in an American Home Workshop.) I guess we Americans get too much pleasure out of building a crosscut sled.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the forum. I’ll be looking forward to seeing some pictures of the shop when you get a chance to post them.

Ha det så bra!

Hi Chet,

Thats pretyy impressive, that swedish, spot on.

Speaking of your table saws, I have noticed that the sliding table saw are rare over there, always wondred why?

My workshop is divided in two "rooms" one for working with hand tools and working on the work bench (seen in this rather poor picture)

Photo-0030-782387.jpg

and one larger area for machines. the smaler room have a limited headroom about 2m but the larger area have full headroom to about 4,5m which is quit nice when you are throwing some full size ply around.

The picture shows the concrete leveler finsished and with paint on, same process for the larger area is going in early spring.

Hey Swede,

Who is your salesman from Felder? I have had conversations with Arthur and Jessie. Jessie is here in the states and Arthur goes back and forth to Austria. I am patiently waiting on a Hammer A3-31 with a few accessories. This year is redesigned with the tables lifting together instead of separate. The fence seems to be more stable as well. Good luck on your new shop.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Got the Saw used from a woodworker, so I'm not dealing direktly with Felder.

I was looking into the A3 41 but dicided against it, mostly beacuse the two seperate table lifts, if this has been changed I might concider it again. I have heard you have to re-align the outfeed table on a regular basis, primararly beacuse the seperate lift action. Dont know if that is true though.

It would be nice if you could write review once you got it up and running.

This is the layout that I'm thniking right now

Any imidate misstakes or better solution in terms of layout?

layout.jpg

JerrySats; it is 16 by 78 inches Jointer table and max planer width is about 15 inch

it's about 1278 lbs - It's a beast and a beauty. I guess for most hobbyist it's a bit too much but I just cant help myself, got to have it :)

Unfurtunatly it is also about 8300 USD, but my one motto in life is

Buy expensive and cry once, when you pay for it, buy cheap and cry every time you use it

Good points, both of them!

As for the asssembly table I'm going to build this: Marc's Torsion Box Table

I'm going to equip mine with four weels so that I can move it around in both the two rooms.

For finishing I'm not sure, I have two options

1. I have a small room adjencent to my assembly room, thinking or redoing this to a spary paint room
  2. I do most oil finishing which realy don't need a seperate space

Those are two beautiful machines you've got (or are soon to get). The Felders are nice machines for sure. I've got a sliding table saw and I also wonder why more woodworkers don't have one. I think that it's partly due to cost - I'd guess many of the participants here on the forum have invested less in their shops than you have in either of these two machines. I don't know what the saw cost you, but the value of those two machines might be equal to the contents of my shop. Here in Canada, you can buy a new table saw from about $300 up to $3000 (or more). Sliding table saws start at $4,500. Are non-sliding table saws common (or even available) in Sweden?

PS: 1 meter = 3.280839895 feet

They are sort of available, that is, a simple version of your table saw that I think you call Contractor saw. Typically Makita and the likes.

The Type that most of you seems to have (seen in Marc's pod cast) ar very rare here. People either have a smaller version of that or they have sliding table saw. (that come in all sizes and prizes)

But the thing we are realy envoius about, that are not at all available here, is all the assecories and jigs ans all kind of stuff you can buy just of the local dealer down the street.

And offcourse the fact that you have this, a place to meet and to discuss, exchange ideas and thoughts. We are very few people in Sweden doing anykind of woodworking

Then again, keep in mind, we are only 9 miljon people

About the feet and inches, funny thing, in no place do we use this type of meassurment excpet one; Boats, we still refer to Boats in feet, everything else is metric.

You can image I have pretty hard time keeping up when listening to Marc's videos, trying to convert every litle messaurment. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...