rails and stiles

matt1

HELP!!! I am a guild member and relatively new to woodworking...about 18 months. I would like to take on some raised panel doors for the kitchen and decided to build some shop roll around cabinets with raised panel doors to get some experience. I am useing reclaimed pine for the rails and stiles that are 1.5 inch wide by 1 inch thick for this. I bought a rail, stile and raised panel cutter bit that I think is the same or similar to the one Marc used in "Raising Arizona".It has a 1/2 shank it cuts a 3/8 tenon and groove in the rails and stiles. Here is the problem...I cannot seem to get the 2 test pieces to line up!!! I have watched "Raising Arizona" 25 times and the main point for me is that Marc says to cut the rail ends first, leaving about 1/16

of an inch, no need to measure, just eye ball it and then use the cut rail piece to line up the stiles for cutting the "negative" cut with the rail cutter. I have also tried to measure anyway. It seems no matter what I do I cannot get this to work!!!AAGGHHH!! Any ideas on what I am doing wrong???

Thanks in advance

Matt

SInce your first cut should be the end grain cope cut, start there. You may need to run a couple test pieces through to make sure you have the right height and fence positioning (make sure the piece will ride on the bits bearing). (Highly recommend using a coping sled for this operation!) Once you have your cope cut, you have something to position your profile bit by. Line up the height of the bit as close you can to one of the cope pieces. Check your fence position so that the work piece will run along the bearing. Run a test cut. More than likely you will need to tweak the height just a bit. After tweaking, make a test cut. Repeat until you have it positioned to your satisfaction. Once done, sand the joints to make sure that there is a smooth transition.

Thanks Mike, I feel Iam doing all of your suggestions (except the coping sled, but I will get around to that) and I shall percivere..at least if you agree I sholud be cutting copes first, that gives me a starting point.

Keggers, thanks also, not a silly question as I also thouhght this might be the problem but on double checking cutter instuctions was that I needed at least 5/8 work surface while I am working with 1 inch. If this is a case of just learning to get it just right then fair enough...I just dont want to waste a lot of time time on being ignorant..if you know what I mean when there is this opportunity to use other peoples experience.

Cheers again,

Matt