jewelry box

sw1

That is nice, can you go into more detail on how you did the wooden hinges?

Yes, in a nut shell they are just box joints that get a round over. To make mine I took some walnut stock and milled it down to about 3/8" thick. I then went to the table saw and made some box joints with a 1/4" dado stack (next time I will do this on the router table though). I flipped the stock over and made some more joints at 1/4". Then I bumped my jig over just a hair and re cut these joints to make them a bit wider than 1/4". I then took the blank to the band saw and ripped it in half length wise making 1 pieces that would now inter lace. I then decided on a width I wanted and cut the 2 pieces to width. Now I tightly clamp the mating pieces together and headed to the drill press. I placed them on the side and drilled a hole through all 3 "fingers". At this point if you install the dowel the hinge will not move. So I went to my stationery belt sander and rounded over the inside of the hinges slowly until I got a nice smooth action. I used some 3/16" brass rod I had on hand for the hinge pin, but I also have used some bamboo skewers as well.

I hope this is helpful, but if not ask any questions you may have.

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, in a nut shell they are just box joints that get a round over. To make mine I took some walnut stock and milled it down to about 3/8" thick. I then went to the table saw and made some box joints with a 1/4" dado stack (next time I will do this on the router table though). I flipped the stock over and made some more joints at 1/4". Then I bumped my jig over just a hair and re cut these joints to make them a bit wider than 1/4". I then took the blank to the band saw and ripped it in half length wise making 1 pieces that would now inter lace. I then decided on a width I wanted and cut the 2 pieces to width. Now I tightly clamp the mating pieces together and headed to the drill press. I placed them on the side and drilled a hole through all 3 "fingers". At this point if you install the dowel the hinge will not move. So I went to my stationery belt sander and rounded over the inside of the hinges slowly until I got a nice smooth action. I used some 3/16" brass rod I had on hand for the hinge pin, but I also have used some bamboo skewers as well.

I hope this is helpful, but if not ask any questions you may have.

Shawn

Hey SW1! Were you in the Navy?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!!! I like the wood hinges and if you made a wood latch for the front I think the hinges would fit in even better.

The way the wood is it hangs over the front for a lip to open it. I did not think a latch would look right, but I did originally design the box to be used with Brusso hinges. I saw the price of those hinges and thought, why not try and make my own. So this is my first try, and they are a bit bulky and not quite perfect yet.

Thank you for the comments, I am working on some new ideas to make the whole thing flow better.

I like the wood hinges, but I am wondering if there was a way to incorporate them in the design. As they sit now, they looked sort of "tacked on" compared to the high design and finish of the rest of the box... My $.02.

They do look tacked on, I couldn't quite place what was wrong and that is exactly how I feel. I thought about flush mounting them and I am also going to try a hidden hinge that is fully incorporated into the box. I love the Brusso hinges, but I just don't want to spend $35 every time I want to make a box. I will post more projects as I get them finished.

Thank you for the comment, It really got me thinking.

Shawn

They do look tacked on, I couldn't quite place what was wrong and that is exactly how I feel. I thought about flush mounting them and I am also going to try a hidden hinge that is fully incorporated into the box. I love the Brusso hinges, but I just don't want to spend $35 every time I want to make a box. I will post more projects as I get them finished.

Thank you for the comment, It really got me thinking.

Shawn

I'm glad you took my comment for the suggestion it was. Kudos. I like your hinges. They're even better if they function well. Perhaps there is a way you can make something similar and conceal it in the back box and lid of box. I know! Just mill it out of a billet of brass. LOL. I know what you're saying about the hinges too...they're expensive! Definitely post more projects with your shop made hinges.