Cherry color shift

adamnolen

I am working on a nightstand and am using cherry. I know cherry changes color, but my question is, does it still change color once the finish is applied? If I want it to darken all it can, should I leave it unfinished for a while? Or will it darken with finish on it? I think I am going to spray it with laquer...maybe a wiping varnish. Haven't really decided yet. Thanks for your help guys.

I am working on a nightstand and am using cherry. I know cherry changes color, but my question is, does it still change color once the finish is applied? If I want it to darken all it can, should I leave it unfinished for a while? Or will it darken with finish on it? I think I am going to spray it with laquer...maybe a wiping varnish. Haven't really decided yet. Thanks for your help guys.

Cherry will continue to darken after the finish is on. The key is light. If you give it a sun bath for a couple of days before the finish, it will give it a boost. Also, BLO or tung oil will give it a darker orange than just a wiping varnish or lacquer. In the end, they will catch up, tho.

There are also some chemicals that will instantly darken it like potassium dichromate of potassium flouride, but they can be hazardous.

Just make sure to give it an even exposure to light, so it darkens evenly.