Help me decide. Bandsaw or jointer?

woodbutcher

42 minutes ago, collinb said:

For most of us it would be a budget question. If that is the concern ...

If all of your jointing is edge jointing then consider a smaller (that means older but there are nice, clean ones out there) 4" jointer. They go pretty cheap. That would probably leave you money for a bandsaw. Then upgrade the jointer at a later time as needed.

If budget isn't the concern ...

Do you have big stock to cut? Bandsaw. A big one. 14" is a minimum for big stock. Probably 17", though some of the 14" units are pretty hefty.

Otherwise jointer. Because we all like square and flat. Then a drum sander as really, really smooth works even better.

I think the only compromise on the jointer Id be willing to make is instead of a Powermatic jointer, Id go for a new Shop Fox 6" jointer thats available to me here in town. Its half the price of the new PM. Its smaller in foot print as well, that Powermatic is 5 1/2' long. Ive really kicked that idea around too. I could buy that Shop Fox jointer and a Shop Fox 14" bandsaw here locally for the price of just the Powermatic jointer. When I say it out loud like that it makes alot of sense to do that, then upgrade to a nice 8 inch PM jointer once I have the space for it. 

As for big stock, no not really.  A 14" bandsaw would be plenty for what id be doing with it. Probably.