Compact Routers from Stanley Black & Decker

Dyami Plotke

Trim Routers  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you (or should I) get

• DeWalt DWP611PK
    • Porter-Cable 450K

I need a trim router and I'm giving heavy consideration to the DeWalt DWP611PK 1-1/4 HP Kit. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between this yellow router and it's grey bother from Porter-Cable (450PK)? It looks to me that they're the same machine with different colored plastic bits, but I'd like to confirm before buying the cheaper PC, especially after what Black & Decker and now Stanley Black & Decker have done to the brand lately.

Thanks,

-Dyami

What would be the advantage of having variable speeds on a router that is designed to be used primarily with small router bits?

Good point, Dave. I rarely use the speed setting on my full size routers, so it may not be necessary in a small router. Both have electronic speed control so they're probably both good.

Dyami, I think the two most important things for a trim router would be:

1) How well does it fit your hand for one hand operation.

2) how visible is the bit during operation. These really excel in the inlay category or clearing out material for things like small hinges.

I've had the Dewalt for a few months now, but I've only used it once. I preformed like a champ it fit well in my hand and the bit visibality was pretty good. I have not really felt the need for the variable speed yet, but I might use it one day. My only regret would be not getting the one with the plunge base in the kit other than that its a good little router.

I've had the Dewalt for a few months now, but I've only used it once. I preformed like a champ it fit well in my hand and the bit visibality was pretty good. I have not really felt the need for the variable speed yet, but I might use it one day. My only regret would be not getting the one with the plunge base in the kit other than that its a good little router.

Aaron, I think putting variable speed on a trim router is like putting a spoiler on a car that isn't high performance. It may be cool, but serves no purpose.

Aaron, I think putting variable speed on a trim router is like putting a spoiler on a car that isn't high performance. It may be cool, but serves no purpose.

I'm leaning towards your opinion, Vic.

Given the $10.00 price difference, do you guys think I should splurge on the variable speed?

Dyami, I think the two most important things for a trim router would be:

1) How well does it fit your hand for one hand operation.

2) how visible is the bit during operation. These really excel in the inlay category or clearing out material for things like small hinges.

Very good points, Vic. I've played with the DeWalt in the store a lot and since the Porter-Cable shared the same bases and other housings, I'm sure it will fit my hand as well and have just as good visibility.