Wood Flooring - Black Stain is transferring

Papa Don

Hello group

To give some background, our company is a high end wood flooring distributor.  We import our products from all over the world and distribute these throughout the United States.  

I have an issue with a European Oak that has been stained black.  Unfortunately this black stain transfers to anything that touches it.  However it only does it when it is wet.  The client is using an oil/wax as a sealer as he likes the "unfinished/dry" look.  I know how to fix this but I thought I would ask about the stains themselves.  Would you expect a black stain to transfer like this?  What would be in the stain that allow this to transfer?  Why is it that it only transfers in the presence of water?  Is the stain re-emulsifying?

This isn't something I've seen before but then again, I've never used a product that was truly stained black.  Thoughts anyone?

In advance, thanks for your input.

Don

Are you getting the wood stained but not finished or are you putting the stain on? If you’re referring to osmo as oil wax sealer they have colored stains that would probably be the best if you’re getting the wood unfinished. If it transfers when wet then it could be a water based stain or dye so I’d definitely do some test boards to check adhesion with the topcoats. 

It sound like a black water based dye. I used it one time and it got on everything ! Black on oak is beautiful. I would explore using some sort of sanding sealer over the black that could be scuffed to reduce the sheen before the oil /wax. Any excess black that wasn't absorbed into the wood (no matter what type it is) will transfer unless it is under a film finish. You wouldn't want to use anything very thick because the open pores are very noticeable in oak with a black finish.  

Unless the client is very careful that floor will show scuffs and scratches. If it was mine I would use a satin floor finish then buff the sheen down with a grey abrasive pad. The client should get some of the black stain/dye to use for touch ups if they get a deep scratch.