score!

jimmykx250

No direct experience, sorry. Clifton planes are roughly the UK equivalent of Lie Nielsen planes, certainly in price. The two piece chip breaker or cap iron is a modern interpretation of the original Record "stay-set" design. Along with the extra weight and higher precision which helps reduce chatter, the front piece can be removed so you can hone the blade without having to remove the entire cap iron. Once honed, you replace the front piece in exactly the same position it was before.

Doesn't look like you have much tuning to do - the previous owner seems to have known what to do. Apart from the Hock blade and Clifton cap iron, the frog (pre 1930 because it has a full surface) seems to be clean and tuned - there don't seem to be any original milling marks.

You should be able to pick up a replacement for the broken tote fairly easily on fleabay - if you don't feel like doing it yourself.

HTH

John

P.S. I forgot the classic jibe - you suck!

No direct experience, sorry. Clifton planes are roughly the UK equivalent of Lie Nielsen planes, certainly in price. The two piece chip breaker or cap iron is a modern interpretation of the original Record "stay-set" design. Along with the extra weight and higher precision which helps reduce chatter, the front piece can be removed so you can hone the blade without having to remove the entire cap iron. Once honed, you replace the front piece in exactly the same position it was before.

Doesn't look like you have much tuning to do - the previous owner seems to have known what to do. Apart from the Hock blade and Clifton cap iron, the frog (pre 1930 because it has a full surface) seems to be clean and tuned - there don't seem to be any original milling marks.

You should be able to pick up a replacement for the broken tote fairly easily on fleabay - if you don't feel like doing it yourself.

HTH

John

P.S. I forgot the classic jibe - you suck!

Thanks for the input. I did find these chipbreakers online for like 45 bucks which doesnt seem to bad. If it works as well as i hope maybee i will be buying another one for my millers fall baby.