How NOT to be a pro woodworker.

adamking

By popular demand, I'm starting this thread on What Not to Do as a pro woodworker. Here's a place to share your horror stories and mistakes that will in turn be valuable lessons to all who read. If nothing else, we can all grimace and shake our heads knowing you and your tale of woes are not alone.

I'll kick things off by sharing how I started my Studio...and how you should avoid doing it that way! (slaps forehead...again!)

Check it out here.

By popular demand, I'm starting this thread on What Not to Do as a pro woodworker. Here's a place to share your horror stories and mistakes that will in turn be valuable lessons to all who read. If nothing else, we can all grimace and shake our heads knowing you and your tale of woes are not alone.

I'll kick things off by sharing how I started my Studio...and how you should avoid doing it that way! (slaps forehead...again!)

Check it out here.

Some mistakes I have made:

Took every job that came in. Some jobs made me dis-like what I was doing and motivation dropped.

Took less pay than job was worth just to get the job. My thought was these people will love the work and more jobs will come in from friend of theirs. Sure, more work was offered but every other person wanted a discount.

Handshakes are not contracts. Write up a contract and be specific about every detail.

It's great to get the checks but don't spend all the money on tools put some aside for marketing.

Some mistakes other's have made:

If you rent make sure you can afford the rent.

Make sure you complete your projects when you say they will be completed.

Don't use clients deposits to cover your debts instead of buying clients materials.

This list could go on and on either from mistakes I have made or that I have seen others make. Perhaps specific questions would be a good way to get the ball rolling?

Never over estimate your own speed, I took on a job thinking I could bang out a hundred of them in about 4-6 hours needless to say 35 hours later of actual working in between cussing a moaning because it was so boring and repetitive i made about 3 dollars more than I put into it .. Doh

Be strong when it comes to pricing your work. Don't give a friend one price and an unknown customer another. Decide what you need to get for a particular piece and be firm about it. Better yet, make up a brochure with some samples of your work including the price so you can't waiver when a neighbor says, "I assume you'll give me a break on the price?". Just smile and say, "Actually my prices are really fair. Here, look over my brochure and see what you think.".

Be strong when it comes to pricing your work. Don't give a friend one price and an unknown customer another. Decide what you need to get for a particular piece and be firm about it. Better yet, make up a brochure with some samples of your work including the price so you can't waiver when a neighbor says, "I assume you'll give me a break on the price?". Just smile and say, "Actually my prices are really fair. Here, look over my brochure and see what you think.".

The way to word that is often "I'm already giving you the good-friend break; let me explain what I normally charge and why." Most folks don't realize how much time it takes to build, well, anything, but if you have twenty minutes to spend to explain how long it'll take you and why... they'll hopefully stop back with a check.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd hate to think how many mistakes I've made particularly with pricing. Who ever conceived the idea of Free Estimates ought to be shot!! I have quite definite pricing schedules set up in Excel that cover in real detail my machine time costs including an allowance over a five year period to provide any replacement costs etc. My expected time scales for virtually every conceivable piece of handwork joints, assembly finishing, electricity charges per workshop hour etc. But, even with all this and more that forty years of trying to get it right I often don't make as much as I should. Having said all that nothing would induce me to stop what I enjoy so much, making great piles of sawdust!!

Adam thank you for this post, I am in the middle of this process and just as you said, just started thinking business first, craftsmanship second. Lucky for me, or unlucky ... I started my business in my garage, the reasoning is that the rent I don't pay is paying for the tools.

Huge mistake is that everything takes a lot longer than what I estimate. Materials have not been a problem.

Best skill learned ... sketchup which helps in a huge way.

Now my background ... five years ago I did not own a hammer and today I am over-equipped.

Thank you for your guidance these posts help me think.