Newbie questions: Counterbore and Rough Assembly

plaine

Hello,

I'm not only new to this forum, but also to woodworking. I found out about this after watching several podcasts, all of which I enjoyed, even if some were for projects I'd never think about doing. Great work on those podcasts. Anyway, thus far, the only notable projects that I've completed are a simple baby changing table and a coffee table. Both, very simple designs that I whipped up myself.

Now, however, I'm trying something a little more difficult; a high chair for our baby that's on the way this summer. I bought a very nice (and simple) plan online. I've found it very easy to follow, but did have a very elementary question to ask, if anyone wouldn't mind setting me straight.

My previous projects didn't involve any screws, so my rough assembly with dowels was minimally invasive, so to speak, and I could easily assemble and disassemble without worrying too much about damage to the wood. This one, however requires me to use screws. If I put the screws in for the rough assembly, but then remove them so I can go back and do my glue and dowels and such and then do the final assemble, isn't this going to compromise the wood/structure if I put the screws in, but then take them out and put them back in again?

My question show the holes in my swiss cheese knowledgebase, but thank you very much for setting me on the right track. I just really started getting into this a couple of months ago, but I'm already pretty hooked.

chris

Screws do compress the wood, and it's also hard to get the thread to start exactly the same way it came out, so I would say, no, don't do that.

You should be able to dry assemble without the screws. If you can't, take advantage of the fact that a wood screw is tapered - put it in part way. When you go back and do final assembly, you can drive the screw in all the way and the wedge action will work almost as good as not putting in the screw during dry fit.

Once in a while I have run into this type of situation. Normally I will put in only a couple of the screws and leave them just a tiny bit proud. By a tiny bit, I mean a tiny bit. When I do the final assembly I will drive those screws in by hand and drive them to their full depth. Then the other screws go in with the cordless driver. Is this possible in your situation? To only use a couple of the assembly screws and leave them just a tiny bit proud? If so be sure to drive the screws back in by hand.

Good luck, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for all of the insights. I think I can get away with just assembling it with some dowels to get me in the right ballpark and then not mess with the screws until I'm ready for final assembly. For the most part, it looks like the dowels provide the same/additional support to the piece, so I may just be sure I keep all of my measurements exact with the plan, assemble loosely with the dowels and where that doesn't give me a solid idea, trust my measurements and the plan. If I get worried during the process this weekend, I may roll with the idea of leaving a tiny bit out. I'm anxious to get assembling now that I've got all the pieces cut. Just too stinking cold in my shed to begin. Thanks again!